Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
Gwinnett
When our CNA arrived this morning, she said she had some bad news. Due to her not fulfilling her obligation to the company she is employed by of being certified in first aid she would not be returning on Monday. On Friday nevertheless. The VA will pay for 10 hours per week and I need that help. I might add this is the only additional help that I have with my husband. We use the Hoyer lift to move him from bed to chair and back again.

I called the company immediately and she said that our CNA could have done her training online any time during the past two months but the CNA said she was a "hands on person" and hadn't had time to go for training. I think we dodged a bullet and Susan is going to start on Monday.

Well that is kinda scarey, I hope Susan turns out to be good..

Having been certified and recertified for first aid a number of times... it takes one "hands on" day or yeah, you can even do it online now. Sounds like you indeed may be moving to a better situation!

Don't worry. The companies that contract with the VA are supposed to guarantee that they will have someone available. If you ever end up without help, call the VA immediately.

the company should have called you and not had the CNA tell you--that is additional stress you and your husband do not need! It would have been so easy and compassionate to arrange the new CNA and then call you with the info and what happen and what solution they came up with.

Geez--basic customer service!

The company thought she was going to complete the class online like all of us would have done. I told the service not to ever use her again. We were her only client through this company and she had picked up work else where. I do think we're lucky that she's gone. New CNA is going to start on Monday. Time will tell if she works out but this I know - we must have help at this point in the disease. Another caregiver is coming on Sunday to give me time to go to church. I don't think I'll leave tomorrow but we'll see.

Through the VA, you should have a CNA every day. We chose to have ours come in the morning to help me get Terry up, bathed and dressed. That started one month after we were on board with the VA. It really was wonderful. Terry liked being up everyday. He wasn't one to lie around in bed. During the 16 months, we only had two different women. It made it much easier for Terry. I hope this new person is wonderful and can be with you from now until the end. Our CNA was actually with me when Terry died. Such a blessing.

VA pays for 10 hours per week and 8 hours respite per month. Our new CNA is an angel! I was a little concerned when we discussed the disease and using the Hoyer Lift and she didn't know anything about ALS nor had she personally used the lift. But the next words out of her mouth were " but I'm very willing to learn!" That's all I needed to hear. Yesterday, while we waited for the nurse practitioner to finish, I let her read our Caringbridge blog and printed out info about ALS for her.

Today. she sponge bathed, dressed, and with my help moved him into his power chair this morning. Changed his linens and prepared french toast for breakfast. She gave us both hugs before she left. We are very fortunate and I think she is a keeper! AND she would be willing to work respite on Saturday but not Sunday because she goes to church.

I'm glad that is working out for you! It's nice to hear good news...

Sounds like a keeper. That's so nice to hear someone actually doing and enjoying their job.

Hey, maybe you could get your church to tape their services for you so you could watch/participate at home? Our church started that service for the members that were housebound and couldn't attend. That way they still saw all the other sheep in the fold, heard the music and received the message.

We do post our sermons online but I sing in the praise band and it's important to me to participate. Thanks for the suggestion. Have a good day.

That is a scary situation to be put into, but am so glad that you found someone who seems like a great fit! I just wanted to let you know I'm from the area and if you ever need any help or run into a situation like that again let me know. I would be more then willing to help out and volunteer some time :) hope that you guys have a great night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back