Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
New York
City
Cedarhurst
I've used stool softeners, laxatives, prunes, cabbage without success. Any suggestions?

I hear ya Roberta - share your pain!

If I don't have bran every morning - I know it! It's helped me a lot. I also like Miralax. ( the "Mira" part is for Mira-cle!). Also, drinking lots of water is a must, for me.

Sometimes, I think dynamite may be the best solution. :oops:

miralax daily for me, and even then I have to use the enema function on my bidet seat .

Brian,

I'm just catching up! I've been researching like crazy every bidet seat on the market. I fear the remote buttons will be too small for me to press in the near future. Larger, wall hung remotes (elbow operated) are super expensive. My hands are getting gimpier, by the day it seems.

Which bidet seat model did you choose? If you don't mind me asking.
(Sorry Roberta - I dont mean to be hijacking your thread)

Biobidet BB-1000
Wireless remote was nice after hands became useless as CNA could press buttons for me right outside the door.

I've used stool softeners, laxatives, prunes, cabbage without success. Any suggestions?

Drink plenty of fluids (water).
If you can still ambulate (again, if you can do it SAFELY without risking a fall) try to walk a little every day.
Try eating more fiber (fruits, veggies, nuts, etc.)
Do not ignore the urge. If you gotta go, you gotta go, do not postpone it.
And, you also may try Metamucil (which is made of psyllium fiber) which is bulk-producing laxative and fiber supplement.

Just don't let things get to the point where you get stool impaction, because things can get really ugly at that point.

NH

* Lots of Water
* Miralax.... My husband puts it in his feeding tube!...Works!
* Stay Away from Painkillers...many cause constipation.
* Fiber, Fiber, Fiber!

I make Tim a smoothy every morning that has 3 TBSP of coconut oil, 1/4 cup hemp hearts, 1/8-1/4 cup chia seeds, and milled flax seeds in yogurt and his favorite frozen fruit. He swears that if he doesn't get it every day he is in big trouble. It also gives him a lot of very good fatty acids which nerves need. We just started to use a Swash 1000, and find it excellent in keeping him clean with his BM's. He is very sensitive about body having any body odors so he is very happy with it. There is not an enema mode, but as long as he gets his smoothie it is not an issue. Getting him on the toilet at a good rate is, we are using a lift system now. He had been transferring up until 1 week ago, but that was exhausting for both of us, and it wore him out. Doing some research on slings, and pants that make toiletting easier.

A McDonald's McDouble cheesrburger does wonders for my husban
d.

McDonalds is the only one I haven't tried! Think Burger King would be as effective?

Biobidet BB-1000
Wireless remote was nice after hands became useless as CNA could press buttons for me right outside the door.

Thanks. Plumber here installing higher toilet and a bidet seat. They had a USPA model in stock - made by biobidet. Can't wait to try it... I'll wait until plumber is gone! :p

Water water water!
Coconut oil
Oatmeal
Miralax

Enemas.

Also helps boorish visitors move along. Just announce it's enema time. :wink:

You are a dreamer lobster... Do you really think enemas will help boorish people - long term? Ha!

If part of the problem is caused by loss of muscle tone like mine. I find being slightly above the seat in the sling helps. It gets things pointed in the right direction without the flaccid muscles getting in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back