Diagnosis
06/2019
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tallahassee
Hi all. I just read an article re: a recent lawsuit settlement in which residency is no longer required in Oregon for Medical Assistance in Dying. Wondering if anyone else has more information.

I think the proof of residency is the only change. I can see it being helpful if you live in a neighboring state as I think was the case of the person who sued. Otherwise it does save you having to establish residency in some way but if you live a long way away you still have to get there, see the relevant doctors wait 15 days ( unless you are expected to die in less than 15 days) and do this while your life expectancy in less than 6 months And somehow administer the meds to yourself. The process is hard for local PALS. The upheaval to start from a distance seems overwhelming for most PALS. Possibly isolated bulbar/ respiratory could manage. This is something that may help those with cancer more I would think?

Going to Oregon or another state with a similar law is one option -- the other is to make use of a morphine script [from your PCP or any doc] for "ALS/terminal respiratory insufficiency" or however they are used to writing it, and die at home, in your own bed, or to fashion your own passage with hospice, if that works for all.

There is a lot of misinformation around the opioid dependence epidemic and what it means for the end of life. For example, in Florida, an rx in ALS would not be written "for acute pain," so it would not be subject to the opioid restriction of 3-7 days' worth.

The database of opioid rx laws by state is here. As noted, even those states with restrictions often have exceptions for hospice patients and/or those, as above, for whom the rx is indicated for something other than acute pain.

Of course, everyone should have an advance directive in place, whether using hospice or not.

I have known enough PALS who have found their self-directed peace in different states and countries, to say, if it is what you and your CALS want, it is achievable.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back