Oral care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm awfully sorry to read about your son. I have some similar oral hygiene challenges, though less severe than your son's, and I found this post from a former member to be quite helpful. I can definitely vouch for the Water Pik - it's been a very useful tool for me.

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/tips-tricks-gadgets/17169-bulbarian-mouth-throat-cleaning.html
I joined the board after this man Barry had passed, but it sounds like he was a wonderful and generous guy who provided lots of support here.

He loves it though-----:))

Thanks for the great ideas! We tried using the water pik with Rog sitting by the sink with a bowl in his lap. He leaned over the bowl to let the water run out and it worked for him. We were so excited... He has always been so careful with his mouth, the last several weeks have been hard not knowing how to handle this...

Jen

i have a rechargeable waterpik -- no cord. i really like it.

Another thought for oral care. I use on my PALS from GlaxoSmith Kline biotene mouth spray. It freshens the mouth, helps with dry mouth symptoms and moistens. It does contain milk and egg derivatives but is sugar free and saccharin free. I spray this in his mouth before he goes to sleep at night. Also, early in the am if he awakens me, I spray again. 3 quick squirts and we're done.

If he can hold any amount of liquid in his mouth, I would suggest Listerine Smart Rinse. It's for kids, but it gets all sorts of gunk cleared from the mouth. My husband always had a coating on his tongue and this was the only stuff that would make it budge (even tried a scraper).

Thanks for this post. I am having trouble spitting when I brush. Insurance has denied suction right now. Since we own a funeral home, I am using a manual aspirator that works pretty well suctioning out my mouth.

Why are they denying suction? Lord, sigh
Can u co tact Stu and see if they have one?

As for the mouth are. They make little pink sponges for mouth care. Some are flavored, and you can clean the teeth with a minimum amt of water.

with my sis we brush and when we rinse we take a cup and hold it under her mouth against her chin then hold another one with a straw and dilluted mouthwash in her mouth - basically she sucks up the mouthwash and lets it drain out of her mouth into the other cup because she cannot purse her lips to spit

may be you need to do something different like you should give him freedom to do in his own way.........

May be he has a fear of brushing instead of forcing him to do brushing allow him to do anything with the brush then definitely he will do.....

My Mom is getting the suction, so I am happy we will get to clean her oral cavity better without as much worry.

Thank you for sharing! I'm going to buy dental wipes for my dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back