Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
City
San Antonio
I am an 18 year old female that has had some neurological symptoms as of the past two and a half months.
It started off with sudden weakness of my left arm. I was able to use it still, but it was extremely weak and movement was hard at first. It started in my upper arm and then went down to my hand. I went to the ER for it as sudden weakness can be the result of a stroke and everything was okay according to an MRI I had done other than a lesion found.
The weakness feeling then spread to my left leg throughout the next couple of weeks. There has been a strange stiffness in both my arm and leg at the elbow and ankle joints on just the left side. My right side is completely normal.
The weakness hasn’t necessarily gotten worse but it hasn’t gotten better either. It’s just really consistent. I also went to a Neurologist as well and he did a brief neuro exam and I guess he didn’t seem too concerned about it. I’ve also have had tingling and pains alongside the stiffness.
I also haven’t had any throat problems other than globus and perceived slurred speech, but it resolved quickly.
Other than these symptoms I haven’t had anything else going on, but I am a little concerned about it.

"A lesion found" -- meaning what, according to the neurologist?

Whenever I read about stuff happening all on one side, esp. any combo of fatigue, pain, tingling, and stiffness -- and a stroke having been ruled out, my next thought is your positioning (support) in bed, when working, relaxing, etc. It's worth checking your mattress, pillow, chair, couch, even the driver's seat, and getting someone to photograph your posture, or a full length selfie. If you have ever accidentally slept in a really bad position, even for an hour, you know what I mean.

No reason to think of ALS at all.

You seem to have read the sticky. What made you search for answers in an ALS Forum? (Perceived) weakness starting in the upper arm and working out toward the hand doesn't sound like ALS at all.
Never wrong to be a little concerned when you don't feel right and seek doctors' advice and treatment. So neurologically there is no reason to be concerned if the Neuro wasn't concerned.
Did you see a general practitioner about this? A doctor who will look at you and the whole picture. If you have stress, if you sleep alright, if you eat okay, drink and move enough, if you take medication or have other medical issues that you don't think could to be connected.

as Laurie asked what is the lesion? If you saw a neurologist and they weren’t concerned does that mean they did not detect weakness? that is very reassuring re ALS. If you still don’t feel right you should go to your pcp. It is their job to direct your care and as wish said they are trained to look at the whole picture.

My doctors haven’t specified exactly what the lesion is, but they weren’t really concerned about it as well since there was only one and it was small.

I actually got a call from my PCP and he is suspecting an auto immune disease. My blood work came back with elevated levels of sed rate and crp, and I have to get further testing done.

Thank you all so very much for responding to me, I greatly appreciate it.

Auto immune issue are usually at least treatable. Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back