Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
HI
City
Lahaina
Hello. My name is Laurie Harris and my brother-in-law Dub Nash has been suffering from ALS for 11 years. His illness has reached the very late stage and things are getting pretty intense, as I'm sure you can all imagine. So I am writing today on behalf of my 12 year old niece (Dub's daughter), Eliza Nash of San Antonio, Texas. Eliza has won awards in the past for her excellence in raising funds for the ALS Walk (She has single-handedly raised over $30,000).

Recently, Eliza expressed a desire to go on the Oprah Winfrey Show to talk about her experience with ALS and to help raise awareness to find a cure. She asked me to ask everyone I know to submit a request to Oprah.com to have Eliza on the show to tell her story. To date, Oprah's website has received at least 100 submissions regarding Eliza Nash. We have not heard a response from the show's producers yet and frankly, I am not sure what it will take to get their attention.

Eliza and I were brainstorming and we agreed that Oprah needs to hear from other families, in addition to ours, whose lives have been touched by ALS. We are wondering if you could help us with our e-mail campaign to get the attention of the producers of the Oprah show? Would you consider sending out the following e-mail to everyone you know?

Dear Friend,
I am writing today to ask a favor for my 12 year old friend, Eliza Nash. I need your support to help make a dream of hers come true.

Eliza's Dad, Dub Nash, was diagnosed with ALS, Lou Gherig's Disease, 11 years ago so her dad has been sick most of her life. His disease has progressed to a devastating point and he is not expected to see 2008.
Eliza has an incredible way of dealing with this and she is on a mission to find a cure.

That's where you come in.

Eliza has asked me to ask everyone I know to write in to Oprah.com and ask that she be featured on the program. Her goal is simple: she wants to raise awareness about ALS. Eliza has already single-handedly raised over $30,000 on her own and now she wants to step it up a notch.

So if you can take a minute out of your busy day to type a quick note to Oprah, I would appreciate it beyond measure. The address to make a submission is:

https://www.oprah.com/plugger/templa...action=respond &plugId=226400002

Your message could read: (or if you want to make it more personal...go for it!)

" Hi Oprah. I am writing to ask that you feature Eliza Nash from San Antonio, TX as a guest on your show. She is trying to help find a cure for ALS which her Dad has. Eliza is a great kid and I am happy to support her."

Also, if you could forward this to other people of influence, we may really be able to get their attention.

Thanks for considering this.

Love,

This was just one way we are hoping to get attention. Do you have any other suggestions? Since I live in Maui, Hawaii and Eliza lives in San Antonio, TX, logistics and organizing may be a challenge. Regardless, I am committed to helping Eliza realize her dream of helping to find a cure by meeting with Oprah. If you have any ideas on how to help, I would be grateful beyond measure.

Sincerely,
Laurie Harris

p.s. please do log in and write to Oprah also. She needs to help us find a cure!

Operation Oprah

This is a wonderful idea. On her site and other talk shows, you can submit story ideas. I have sent one to Oprah and to Dr Phil , but obviously, we need mass numbers.
I will log onto the link and submit a request.
Since the shows are probably on hiatus, they are most likely looking for topics for the fall.
To the moderators, could we perhaps put this link into the general discussions so it gains momentum?

This is such a great idea! Oprah would be a great resource to spread the word about ALS, and help raise funds, as well as awareness. I will definitely send an email. If you hear back, please post so we can all watch.

There is another PALS working to get on Oprah right now--you guys should get together and it might increase your chances....

Good Luck to you--Beth (CALS to husband Shannon)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back