Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
I realize this is the equivalent of a first world problem in the ALS world but for those who are early in hand progression and perhaps some CALS with arthritis...

I am having trouble opening jars and bottles. I bought a ridiculously expensive lid opener. It works wonderfully. I am glad I listened to the reviews and splurged. It was a little under 200 dollars so I wouldn’t recommend it unless you are progressing slowly

Much more economical was the cone shaped bottle opener it is soft plastic and doesn’t look like much but it allows me to open bottles like soda bottles that are too tall for the lid opener easily that I can’t do at all without it

I can’t open anything any more and have to rely on others to help. Ziplock bags are torture.
I’m glad you found a solution for jars and bottles. I hope it serves you for some time. Sometimes just leaving lids on loosely also helps, and having someone pre-open the more stubborn bags and containers.

I was able to use lid openers for a while, but now I can’t position my thumb and index finger around the bottle or otherwise open my hand wide enough to get a grip on it. Finger cramps are also problematic when I try to wrap my fingers around something and apply pressure. Sucks!

Get some Dyceum. I think that is the spelling. They sell it on Amazon.

They do. Another low-tech reminder: warm water for metal lids and plastic caps may help loosen regardless of the device. Also for those not so far along, we used this Amazon one for quite a while: "The Gripper," which I still use.

Ziploc bags with a "slider" work better for me. I can open these on most days but not all. Cramping and freezing up fingers have made any opening difficult.

Cathy

Thanks for all the tips. My housemate cut the nerve in his left arm six or seven years ago and his left hand has significant atrophy (worse than mine.) Surgery didn't help nor did PT so his hand curls. I'm starting to lose grip strength in my left hand. I had coordination problems with my left hand early on but I can still pinch my thumb to each finger. I'm my own worst enemy trying to do things nobody with ALS should do like climbing up a ladder. DON'T BE LIKE KIM! :ROFLMAO: Today I was in a grocery store looking for a small knife. I wanted to see if it was sharp enough and cut my thumb.

Kim, I have to laugh- you are clearly an experiential learner. "Is this too hot/sharp/bright/high?" is a dangerous question to experiential learners, in my...experience. BE SAFE!!

I remember when I would be opening something and my dog would watch me and I knew he was thinking, "Man, if I only had opposable thumbs ..."

I now have that same look when my wife opens things.

I remember when I would be opening something and my dog would watch me and I knew he was thinking, "Man, if I only had opposable thumbs ..."

I now have that same look when my wife opens things.
I just say, “I marvel at your beautifully innervated fingers.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back