00/0000
Country
UK
State
BC
City
Manc
Hi there,

I did post previously (end of September), but am unable to reply to that thread. I apologise if I am breaking forum rules.

Unfortunately, things seem to have progressed with my condition. I had to cancel my appt at the GP due to work commitments, and didn’t get round to arranging another, largely as I felt that maybe I was overthinking my symptoms and decided to try positive thinking/ignorance. I have however, now booked an appt for the 3rd March. I am incredibly nervous.

The pain in my shoulder has widened, in that it now encompasses the left side of my upper back and neck. I did have a physio have a look at what might be causing the problem. He queried whether there was any weakness – only slight if any, but did comment on marked atrophy compared to my right hand side, particularly across the top left of my back and posterior deltoid. He felt the sharp pain I am feeling likely stems from the shoulder joint itself. I struggle to sleep on my left hand side due to the shoulder discomfort, and I can no longer do weight bearing exercises that involve lifting weight above my head. I can tell weakness from these exercises, for example, when bench pressing, my left struggles to return the bar to the stand. This was never the case previously. I also feel weakness when supporting myself on my left arm, for example when getting up from table. The neck ache is when i lean my head over to the left hand side for almost any duration.

I could potentially process this as a focalised issue, if it weren’t for the fact that since November the pain and ache has now spread to my left hip. There has been no let-up since that time, the discomfort is every day. I must admit it is not entirely preventing me from doing activities – I completed a long run last Friday, but I could feel a strange aching/stiff sensation when running and the area around the top of my hip was painful to the touch for days afterwards. This was also the case after a long walk I did some 3 weeks previous. And a pain in my thigh (cramp?) has woken me twice from my sleep. I also struggle to squat due to discomfort in the left thigh/hip region. This discomfort is worsening.

Above although, I think my major concern is my reflexes (patella). I previously had minimal/normal reflexes. In December I decided to test them myself, as I have done countless times before. I have a reflex hammer, from previous employment – and the briskness absolutely astounded me. I can now trigger a marked response from simply tapping my fingers (firmly) on the patella tendon.

I have read about ALS starting in the shoulder, and it would appear that this type of onset has slower progression. It also often appears to present with pain.

Hyperreflexia, atrophy, (slight) weakness and continuing fascinations across two/three body regions – is this now looking ominous?

I would appreciate any insight.

Kind regards

Past thread here for reference:

Wow! You are certainly going through something. I am not a doctor I am a person dying from ALS. You are not. You have something wrong with your shoulder.

ALS is not painful in the early stages. People with ALS typically first notice something not working (failure) and it doesn’t hurt. Pain suggests something mechanical or inflammatory, neither of which applies to ALS.

And seriously, you can’t accurately assess your own reflexes. And unless you’re a physician, you’re not equipped to interpret the results.

See your doctor. You might end up seeing a sports medicine person or orthopedist. But your presentation does not suggest ALS.

I believe you are referring to a condition that goes by many names, among them neuralgic amyotrophy, brachial plexus neuritis, idiopathic brachial plexopathy, and Parsonage-Turner. It begins with pain and progresses to upper arm weakness. It is possible in sleep your positioning due to this pain, could lead to hip pain as you tried to adjust.

Sometimes this constellation is confused with frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis), because there is similarity in terms of not being able to lift the arm/move the shoulder in certain ways.

More confusion comes in that there is a flail arm variant of ALS, which is also similar but not the same, as it does not present with pain per se but with pronounced atrophy in both upper arms, that you do not describe. So I believe the above disorders (or something else entirely; I cannot diagnose from afar) are more likely your issue, and would encourage you to see an orthopedist who can make a diagnosis and if/as appropriate, prescribe PT and maybe massage.

Hi, many thanks for taking the time to respond.

I will certainly mention the condition you describe Igelb with my doctor.

Kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back