Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
City
USA
I wanted to give a small update. My thread is closed from last year.

2011-I was sent to a als clinic last year and was told I was fine. Increased reflexes in knee 3+ and ankle 2+.

My hometown neuro wanted me to do a year evaluation at the als clinic again so I went back this past July.

2012-I have increased reflexes in lower and upper extremities and a + hoffman on the RT. Everything else was good. She told me there is nothing wrong and I have anxiety, which she is right about that.

I had my second emg in August which my doctor saw 'spikes' as she called it. She told me to relax my arm, which I was. I was very nervous and started asking a lot of questions.

She is sending me for a second opinion because she said she does not know if I am ok, but her emg report does say; No abnormal insertional or sustained abnormal spontaneous activities. Impression: No evidence at this time. Which that is good. (I must add she is a new doctor so that is why she is sending me for a second opinion)

My hometown neuro believes there is UMN issues.

I am going for my second opinion today and I am feeling very nervous so I wanted to write and reintroduce myself.

As Tr (Allen) would say, the reason is 2 fold: your doc tor is new and people in the US like to sue, so she's making sure she pro tects herself. Your emg report was good.

Have your symptoms progressed much

Second opinion doctor did a very thorough exam, asked question about my home life and time line of symptoms. He said the clinical exam was the most important part, more then the emg.

He said there is nothing wrong with me. .He said I don't have any form als/pls or any muscle disease. He said It is not in the beginning stage or early stage, It's nothing.

I asked if I had any pathological reflexes he said NO. I asked if I had a positive jaw jerk, he said yes. I asked about my Hoffman, he said I have it on both side now but he said it's fine because there was not others things with them and I have aniexty. This confused me a bit. He seemed very confident in his diagnosis even with me questioning him. He said I need no more follow ups but I told him the other neuromuscular doctor wanted to see me back in 6 months, he said I can do that if I want.

Rami: I am complicated. My symptoms started in 2006, brisk reflexes, lightheaded, myoclonus and heart racing. There has been slow progression with a few things over the years. Twice since April 2012 my voice was raspy and low but came back. My left arm, the one that was emg-ed, feels weaker when I am doing things. I rest it and go on.

A month ago my hometown neuro told me he thinks it is a form of a slow hsp/pls but waiting for emg's to show other wise, he has told me this since last year.

Are you feeling more reassured now after his assesment

Thanks Kimberly, Allen has told me the same last year.

Allen was a good man and see, his words still ring true today. I can't call you monster so...I con grat u late you on your clean bill of hea lth. I do hope you will accept the di ag no sis and possibly see your GP concerning the an xi e ty. And there's nothing wrong with a re che ck in 6 months. But after that, I would definitely run as far, far away from here as possible. But then again, you might want to help by doing a little fund raising. Or finding someone in your co mmu nity and help them out.

Whatever road you choose, I wish you good hea lth and for tune.

Kimberly, I really hope I can leave in 6 months, and yes, I would love to help in any way. This is a horrible disease, I pray they find a cure soon.

Rami; I really don't know what to feel, I am still confused as some things still do not make sense. Over the years some of my symptoms come and go; spasticity, clonus, voice being low and raspy.

Now it seems things have progressed.

I don't understand having a jaw jerk, hoffman, and increased reflexes and this not be concerning, but he is the one with the medical degree and 30 years experience, as he stated.

Fasciculations started in 2011, these are benign too. My strength test was 5/5, no weakness.

I was thinking of going to a orthopedist for my arm and a ENT for my voice/swallowing issues. I do feel something is wrong but it doesn't have a name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back