Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
NJ
City
X
10 days from now, I will be in my new home. I never expected things to play out the way they did, but here we are.

Even before my husband died, we had discussed what I would do "after". We had always talked about moving somewhere warmer when we were ready to retire. When faced with the reality that I would be alone, we talked about how that changed things. I am 100% a Jersey girl - never lived anywhere else. But, I have never liked the cold weather. Still, the prospect of moving somewhere else, alone, was not something I was thrilled about either. He knew my thoughts and said he supported whatever decision I made.

I am blessed to have a very strong support system where I live now. In my mind, that outweighs the weather situation. So, once things settled down a little after his death, I started looking, mostly online. Then came COVID. So, I basically locked down, as things were bad in NJ. Spring rolled into summer, and then quite unexpectedly, my Mom passed away after a rollercoaster 12 days in the ICU. Yet another curveball. She lived in the same town as I do - she had moved down here 13 years ago to be closer to me any my family after my Dad passed. Her house is the size I was looking for, so long story short - I'm buying her house.

I am very comfortable with my decision. I will miss my current house. This is where we lived most of our married life. We raised our kids here - it's the only home they remember. Over the years, we had remodeled inside and out to make it a place we loved. But I also realize it's time for me to move on. This house is FAR too big now. Just me and my dog. After the remodel to accommodate my husband, it's 5 bedrooms/3.5 baths with a little over a half acre of ground. My kids are not going to be living here. DD1 has been out of the house for a little over 3 years. DD2 is at Pitt pursuing her PhD for the next 4 years. DS will graduate from college in the spring. He may be home temporarily, but it's pretty rural and there's not much for a 20 something around here unless you're into agriculture. I know he would like to live somewhere more urban.

It's been a long few months getting everything done. My house sold quickly and I did get a good price. The family moving in will use the downstairs BR/BA to move an elderly parent in, so I am happy about that. I'm getting estimates to remodel Mom's to make it my own. (Meaning I will be living in a construction zone AGAIN. Ugh.) One of these days, I'll have to stop referring to it as "Mom's House" and call it MY house.

I've told people, I feel like I've been juggling balls since my husband died. It's time to put the balls all down. I pray that COVID will be contained soon so we can all find some balance again.

So wish me luck! It's been quite a ride so far.

How wonderful, this is great news.
I reckon you will call it your house once you get the remodelling things in place. Good luck!

So nice that you will be the steward of your mom's home and yet remodel it to be your own. That would make her happy, and your husband, too. Likewise the downstairs suite continuing in its intended use. Sounds like both homes are getting new life.

Hope all goes well with your move and remodeling. Sounds like a good plan.

looks like you're on a new, positive journey. best wishes!

Making your new home to your taste will be fun! I think it’s special that it was your Moms home. I wish you nothing but the best Jrzygrl.

Jrzy, it seems like you are doing great in your post CALS life and I wish you lots of happiness and contentment in your new home.

Sharon

Sharon,

Still LOTS of rough spots, but I'm pushing through. Hope you are well! Sending hugs!

Well, I'm moved in. Closing on my old house was 2 days ago. It was all virtual and went very smoothly. I am surrounded by boxes after a very hectic moving day this past weekend. I've told everyone I'm just going to go at my pace unpacking. I'll get there. My friends continue to support me. One brought flowers, another soup and another dinners. Lots to be done, but lots to ge thankful for too.

Oh, and I got my first COVID vaccine this morning!

Sending hugs to all! 💕

Wow, you go. I am so thrilled for you. As you know, my quest to move never happened. Its ok, when its right, like your case, its right. I cant wait to hear about updates. Enjoy.

Hugs,

This is great to hear Jrzy, I hope that settling yourself here will bring much joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back