One person Hoyer transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AKY10 - I have a large Liko Sling... which is the size that I believe your husband will need. Right now, it is on loan to another individual. Typically, I say - "Borrow it from me... try it... and if you like it then buy one for yourself. Keep using my loaner sling until your new one arrives. Then send mine back." Once it comes back, I wash and dry it... before packing it up... ready for the next person.

This sling was such a help for us, that the thought of having had to struggle with anything less gives me chills. We have enough challenges with ALS. Having to fight a sling for the multiple everyday transfers we need to make shouldn't be one of them. For that reason, I've kept the sling and encouragingly loan it out. And to add to the incentive for folks to try it out, I'm willing to pay to ship it to you. I only ask that you pay for the cost of shipping it back. This process lets you try it out... to find out if it works for you and what size you will need... BEFORE spending $600.

My wife, Darcey, often asked to have the sling left in place while in her PWC. It should be noted that she was always cold and wore a lot of very thick sweaters. She barely noticed the sling behind her and didn't feel it was a problem. She also noticed that it was much easier and quicker for her caregivers if it was already in place.

Whether she was sitting up in the hospital bed or in her PWC, we'd simply lean her forward at the waist and slide the back of the sling down as far as it would go. We'd then do the crisscross straps... and finally the under leg straps. Because I had done more transfers than anyone else, I could go from no sling in place to fully in place and connected to the hoyer in less than 2 minutes... and could do so easily.

@AKY10 - I'll put you on the list to be next in line for my loaner Large Like High Back Hygiene Sling. If someone else is able to loan you one, sooner, simply let me know.

@MODERATORS - I don't believe that AKY10 will be able to participate in a conversation with me due to the current message count. Would you kindly forward my email address so that they will have the ability to communicate with me if they so desire. Thanks!

My best...

Jim

Thank you so much Jim, I really appreciate it. It would be great to try it out ahead of time to see if it would work for us. I think we would have to put the Liko sling under my husband as we do the traditional split leg sling with plastic insert and that’s rolling him on his side and placing under him 1/2 way and then rolling to other side and pulling remainder sling out. That’s due to the fact he sleeps with a RoHo overlay mattress on top of the hospital bed mattress. With that there isn’t a way to sit him upright and get the sling behind him. Also, do you or anyone have an opinion on the:

Handicare Hygiene Sling with High Back

1637347212353.png

(commercial link removed)

It looks similar to the Liko and less expensive. You and others who have used the Liko would best be able to say what the differences might be.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@AKY10 - I've looked at a number of competitors slings (online pictures) and they all look to be similar. I can see slight differences but I couldn't tell you if those differences will affect its use. For example - the connection points on some are limited to one loop where it connects to the Hoyer... where the Liko has several. We used the loops that positioned Darcey in the most upright position as that is what she preferred. I also can't tell how thick and stiff the under-leg straps are... and you certainly don't want one that is flimsier and becomes more like a rope under the legs than a strap... as that could be quite painful. The issue is that I just don't know. Maybe, someone else has used one of these other brands and can comment.

As I mentioned before, my sling is out on trial. The person who has it is having some other health issues that has prevented a proper trial, yet. This person offered to send it back to me so I could send it to you. But I told this person to keep it until it can be properly put to use and trial by them. It could be closer to the end of the year before it is back in my hands. I just wanted you to know.

I understand that the Liko sling is expensive. But as many times a day that we used a sling with my wife... if it had failed or for some reason needed to be replaced... we'd have done so without hesitation and would have repurchased the exact same sling. But I also understand that it can be a very expensive item to cast aside if you purchase one and upon first and subsequent uses find that it just doesn't work for you. And that's exactly why I've kept this sling and offer it out for trial. It isn't important as to what sling worked for us. What is important is what sling works best for you guys.

My best...

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back