Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
OR
City
Albany
Hi.

I appreciate everyone's help with the bipap issues for my mom. However, we are concerned that if she wears a mask, that the secretions and saliva that build up in her mouth will choke her. Any ideas on that? The nasal one with the chin strap isn't getting the air into her lungs. What a mess, I tell ya.

Thanks Again.
Holly

Hi Holly. Does your mom sleep on her side or back? If she's on her back you could sew a tennis ball into the back of her pj's and this might help some of the fluids drain out the side. I am a side sleeper and once in a while drool. It usually drains out as I move my head around while sleeping. Makes for a damp pillow but what the heck.

AL.

Thanks Al

HI.
Mom is a propped up with tons of pillows and then an eventual side sleeper by the am. I will pass on your ideas. I just am not sure the saliva can get out with the mask on. We will check it out.

Thanks for all you do. You are amazing.
Love,
Holly:)

Hi Holly. Any chance you could get her a hospital bed from the ALSA/MDA loan closet? It might help. I find pillows shift too much and the head elevation of the bed works better for me. The constant position for her might help with drainage. Is she on any meds to help with it?

AL.

BiPap question

I am wondering if any of you have had your alarm go off during the night on your Bi-Pap machine? Don's went off at around 3:00 am this morning. Scared the heck out of both of us! He is so weak and trembling this morning. Is this a sign of things to come?

Sis

So far for my mom this hasn't been a problem while using the Bi Pap. We did have to get a cough assist machine to help with the mucus. but this is good infor to look out for as we get to that point.

Hi sis. Do you know which alarm went off? Mine has a couple different ones. Hose off, power interrupt etc. I'm not sure if it alarms if I forget to breathe.

AL.

Bi-Pap

Hi :)

It was the alarm that lets us know that Don wasn't breathing. The tech that set it up asked me if I wanted her to do that so I'd know if he was or wasn't breathing properly. I just don't remember what she set it at. I will have to find out what how much time passes without a breath before the alarm kicks in. I at first thought that a hose came off or his mask was loose but neither was the case.

Thanks for responding.......Sis

bipap alarm

Hello we did have the same problem with the breathing alarm. It would go off many times as Sis's breathing was too shallow to be detected. After many sleepness nights we contacted the tech, and were able to turn that particular alarm off. ( Someone was always in the room with her checking breathing and all the many other things that can happen to people with ALS, otherwise I would not want it turned off).
The rest of the family got some sleep and we never had any problem without the alarm.
Good luck and remember a lot of people are praying for all of you dealing with this terrible disease.
take care
Joan

answer to bi-pap machine problem

Helllo forum friends,

most of you know my husband, horace, has been on a bi-pap machine for many months now. it is not just an 'assist bipap' but actshe as a ventilator which the posts i've read sound as if they are using also. the alarms on his machine had all been turned off except for one, and the technician tells us they cannot turn it off - it beeps occasionally, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, when his breathing is more shallow than it used to be. the technician, and his primary care physician, exlained to us that as one's lungs become weaker, a patient cannot accept the amount of air coming from the machine, thus the alarm.

also, he has had a full face mask also this time, and he does not have any trouble with saliva or things like that so i don't think that will present a problem. he does sleel on his side, but sometimes rolls over on his back and has no probem with that. the bipap takes care of moisture, etc..

hope this helps a little. the bipap is a safe machine and he could not live 30 min. without it.

jackiemax

Thanks for some of the suggestions. A hospital bed would be good, however Mom refuses one. As far as meds to clear saliva and phlegm, she does the motion sickness patches and a robitussin type med that her neuro prescribed. Are there any other better one's out there?
Thanks Again,
Holly

I know that there has been some controversy on this but my wife goes every three months and gets BOTOX injections in her salivary glands. To ensure it is injected correctly into the glands our Dr. works with the ultrasound team. They use the ultra sound to locate the exact location of the glands and injects accordingly. Honestly, these have greatly helped Tammmy. However, some folks have not had as good results. Tammy cannot swallow AT ALL, and if she does not get these injections the drooling is excessive. She still needs to carry a tissue or towel as it does not totally remove the drooling. Food for thought.
Mark

Thanks Mark. We are looking into this idea!

Take Care,
Holly

Holly....my mom suffered with the phlegm problem. The ALS clinic had suggested she use Accent meat tenderizer under the tongue or on the tongue and it would cut the phelgm. It worked to a certain degree for my mom. She would put some on a little plate and then drop a few drops of water to make a thick paste and then put it on her tongue. It seemed to cut the phelgm. The drooling was very much bothersome to her. Nothing other than the tissues helped.

Take care. Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back