Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
MI
City
Perry
I'm in Hospice where I can't get much, anyway back to my question on what type of machine to get. I heard something about getting a Laptop computer that coulr just get the software and eye gazing for it. Is it really that simple?

Thanks,
Roni

Yes , it is that simple. I use my work laptop with Etriloquist at work and my dynavox at home.

Just google etriloquist. it will come rightup

jim

I have downloaded e triloquist (free) to my PC and to my netbook. It comes with microsoft mary or sam, but other voices can be purchased from a variety of sources Natural readers, Acapela etc. Being fom England I am trying out Acapela Rachel, very posh, but very expensive when my 30 day trial ends. Etriloquist is brilliant as you can record your own voice, if you have one, I dont..and you can save set phrases for situations, particularly usefull for answering the telephone, or I have saved a conversation for calling emergency services. You can do allsorts of thngs with it. I emailed them with one particular quwstion and they came back immediately. Fantastic service for a free download. My speech therapist told me it will be easy to add eyegaze as well, but I dont have any experience of that yet. I bought a samsung nc10 netbook. It has an almost full size keyboard, is fairly light and has a long battery life, so I can take it anywhere.

Thank you,can you also hook up to internet

thank you for your hslp, this would also hook up to internet so long as we had the hook up at home?

Roni

yes we have a normal pc and have a router, then the netbook has wifi, so I can connect anywhere there is a signal. so it works in other peoples homes, airports and the like. But you do not need an internet connection to use e triloquist once installed. It is great that I can stay in bed if I want and still go online.

webcam suitable if you can t speak

Following on from the computer theme, just thought I would share this useful information with people. Do you have a webcam and use it to keep in touch. We have been using googlemail for ages and they now have a feature whereby you can do video links BUT the good thing for me (since I cant talk) is that when we webcam, it has the facility to type conversations. I type, they speak back. Goes a small way to making me feel part of things again. and it is free

I have a DynaVox Vmax, which I am lost without it. I know BethU is not a big fan of DynaVox, but I love mine and have never had any problems with it. I use a Headmouse to type with and a little reflective sticker on my forehead that the Headmouse follows via my head movements. It has programs in it that allows me to watch movies, an MP3 player, e-book reader, and more. I paid the extra $40 for the software to unlock my device and give me full access to Windows and all of its programs contained therein. The reason the device comes with access to only the DynaVox software, is because Medicare won't pay for a laptop/computer, but they will for a speech device. It is really just like a laptop now I have unlocked it. I set up a wireless network at home and now I have an Internet connection inside and outside of my house.:mrgreen:

Hi, Duane ... I got my DynavoxMaxV working, and it is great on phone calls (that's as far as I've gotten with it yet ... but phoning is what I need most right at this minute). If it goes into "operating system not found" again, I'm going to ask for a new one ... but right now this is A-OK.

Inexpensive speech setup if you can type

I did not like the clunky AAC speech devices that I saw so sort of created my own. I have bulbar ALS and almost no speech but I can type fine. So I bought a Asus Eee PC 901 for $250 and installed the Next Up software and a top quality voice from Nuance. The NextUp Talker program costs $99 and the voice was another $50. I just paid for the laptop myself: it has wireless and Bluetooth and comes with OpenOffice which is a sort of free MS Office clone. The laptop does have a smaller keyboard than usual. It weighs two and a half pounds and fits in a big purse.
The NextUp software allows you to record messages in your own voice and play them back. It also allows you to create a library of stock phrases. You can repeat with one keystroke. You can also chose when it talks. I have it set to speak when I type a period but it can also speak at the end of every word or end of paragraph. And it shows a record of what you have said for maybe 15 lines. It comes with a male and female high quality voice but I wanted a voice that sounds somewhat like I used to sound so I paid for a specific voice. For $400 it makes a nice portable solution that does the job. Very handy at the doctors office and in meetings.

i have the eye-gaze system provided by the VA. it allows me to operate the computer with my eyes, to include typing this response, surfing the web, and just about anything a mouse could do. the software that allows speech is called mind express. it has hundreds of pre-programmed phases that the computer speaks when i click the icon. you can also program your own phases. there is a keyboard that speaks whatever words you type. it has software that allows you to call out or receive phone calls. it is remarkable technology!

Jimmybob, Which brand did you get?

Jimmybob, Which brand did you get?

the camera that tracks my eye movement is manufactured by Eye Tech Digital Systems. it is mounted below the computer screen. the computer and camera are attached as one unit. the VA delivered to my home in march. i am one of a few veterans with this device, and i'm kind of a test subject for research. you can try googling the company name to get more info.

another free program I am now using is NATURAL READER It is brilliant for when I find a website of interest that you might like to share with another person in the same road. Or it is usefull when I want to tell my hubby something of interest on the forum..It removes the need for them to come and look over your shoulder.

Simply highlight the words you want to share and it will read it out loud for you.
There is a free download with a couple of voices or you can add any other voices you may have, or you can buy a more sophisticated version. The free version is totally ok for the purpose I have described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back