Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Surf City
My initial visit to Beverly Hills Cedar-Sinai hospital to be screened for the DPS clinical trial was today. Wifey had already left for her new ceramics class at zero dark thirty, so I was on my own.

Greybeard the Pirate Parrot picked this morning to take vengeance on me. He's bonded to wifey, and I am his rival. First thing I know, he is biting at my heel while I'm trimming my beard. I step over him, and the chase begins. Good thing his flight feathers are trimmed...

His pursuit was relentless, while I'm trying to use the cough assist, get dressed, etc. Finally, I lured him into the spare bathroom where they sleep, and I got the door shut on him, and then threw Chewbaca in with him. Maybe no food or water all day will cool him...

Younger son and I allotted an hour and a half to go the 40 miles to Bev Hills, or wherever that is. Freeways were constricted, so it took the full hour and a half +.

Once there, we were visited by one person after another, including repeating the breathing test with a newer machine. I had been agonizing whether to join this trial since June, when my lungs were stronger. My numbers now put me right in their criteria for 45-50% FVC.

The EMG doc and his sub were MIA today, so we'll have to go back for testing of the frenetic nerves next week. I jokingly asked, "Who does this test, a phrenologist?" Nobody in the room had heard of phrenology, so I was the teacher.

If my phrenology is ok, they will put my name in the pool. I have 2/3 chance to get the DPS, and not the control group.

They claim an average extra 30 months lifespan with the DPS. Sure looks better than a vent.

Meanwhile, as I typed this, Greybeard came out of the bathroom much subdued, and is now eating. Having a Congo African Grey parrot is like having a two year old child - for a lifetime.

Thanks for the update. Hoping for good nerve report and that you will be one of the lucky ones

Graybeard, those birds surely liven up your life! Thanks for sharing!
Wishing you luck in the clinical trial!disclosure

When I had a two year old he didnt bite me or chew my tubes up. Maybe you should get an owl-that might put the parrot in its place

> Having a Congo African Grey parrot is like having a two year old child - for a lifetime.

But you cannot roast a child .... ;)

you can't roast a child? oh no .... :twisted:

graybeard I hope you get accepted in. Thanks for the update that included the full bird side of the story! Just a little animal humour can go such a long way... I can understand locking him up for a while lol

More than once I threatened my sons with retroactive birth control...

In case you missed it, Tillie: Chewbaca is a galah, rose breasted cockatoo with roots on your island. She's a terror. I saw a pic once from OZ where a wild galah had flown in an open window and destroyed the keyboard on a laptop. I've lost count of how many Chewbaca has destroyed.

Younger son made a 4'x4' x 8' tall cage out of PVC pipe and expensive, welded 1" stainless steel mesh. They have destroyed the welds, so I just ordered woven stainless mesh. That should do it.

I was apprehensive about the DPS, thinking of being tethered to a box bigger than a portable CD player, until I learned it doesn't have to be worn full time. Now I'm anxious.

Graybeard, you know we call people galahs when they act like idiots with no thought to consequences?

I know how destructive they are, they come here hundreds at a time and just pull flowers off trees and throw them to the ground. The noise of flocks of them screeching ... ugh I'm very glad I have aluminium windows as they are known to eat wooden ones out. I've watched them walk down a row of vege seedlings and just pluck every single one off at the ground and toss it aside.

Nasty critters, and you have one inside your house ... I shudder

Anxious is one step down from apprehensive? ;)

I can understand, I would certainly be feeling the same. They don't do this in Australia so I've no experience at all with it, but some of our PALS here seem to have great success, so that's something to tell yourself to help quell the anxious feelings.

Thanks, Tillie. She doesn't even talk - just another pretty face... with a can opener on it.

I am to be at Cedars-Sinai West Hollyweird at 0900 Monday. We better plan two - three hours to get there. Years ago there were rush hours, Monday morning being the worst. Now there's heavy traffic at all hours. Here's hoping for good results.

BTW, the correct spelling is Phrenic Nerve. I'm anxious to meet the phrenologist..

Well Graybeard yesterday afternoon I spotted these friends of yours near the front corner of the property. Sorry the pic is a bit poor, but I was on the quad bike and you can't get too close or they just take off like these went to do ... thought of you and smiled anyway!

Attachments

• chewbaca.jpg
    chewbaca.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 200
Thanks, Tillie.

BTW, is there a way to post pix direct from my confuser without putting them on a site first?

Sure is a way Graybeard.

Underneath the posting area is Additional Options.

Under that is Attach files.

You can then browse your computer to choose up to 10 files to attach to your post.

Graybeard, went to Parrot Mountain in Pigeon Forge TN this summer. Got to feed a rose breasted cockatoo...I was so excited....she climbed right up my arm and stood on my neck and proceeded to peck my head and flap her wings on me. Everyone laughed...but no one would help me. My head was so sore!

We did see an African gray parrot. He was beautiful. Steph

Thanks, Steph. I've seen Parrot Mountain on tv; quite a place.

Chewbaca will go to almost anybody, and eventually starts chewing. She pulls my hair and whiskers.

Good luck today Graybeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back