00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
City
Dallas
Hi Guys,

I am hoping that because its been over a year and I've had a mirad of random symptoms, that it points away from ALS (especially bulbar). I posted back in Feb 2014 with throat and tongue issues (tongue feeling weird, GERD, tight throat, etc.) and I either got used to it or it was simply anxiety because I was able to lead a fairly normal life from May- early March of this year and had some relief from my symptoms.

At the end of March I came out of sedation for an outpatient procedure I was having and felt like my airways had collapsed while being put under and my throat, airway in nose and throat and tongue feel out of place or unnatural. I also noticed I was shallow breathing with my upper chest and neck and having to force myself to take long, deep breaths (i know that is classic anxiety). My husband said my breathing rate was 100% and never dipped below 96% on the monitor when I was recovering from the sedation.

My problems are exacerbated at night when I feel like I wake up after only an hour or two of sleep and my tongue and throat are out of whack, I am upper chest breathing and my swallowing reflex happens subconsiously in my sleep which wakes me up. My husband says I don't snore, but I'm wondering if this could be some sort of sleep apnea? Like my muscles relax too much when I'm asleep? I automatically think neck muscle weakness when I am upset about it. It sort of feels like I have to overtense my throat to make myself feel like i can breathe easier.

Lastly, my swallowing reflex doesnt not feel autonomous anymore when I am awake and I think about every swallow with food or liquid. I haven't out right choked yet, but i feel like the food and liquid take forever to go down and often need additional forceful swallows. My soft palate moves around fine when I say AHH and I can chug water when I tilt my head back and relax my neck, but it just feels like it sits there for a bit before it goes down. I also notice I hiccup alot more after eating and I can hear gurgling after I swallow water in the top of my throat, but I am hoping its because I am just overswallowing and have had gerd in the past?

I have read the sticky and I also know that Gooseberry's husband started with swallowing issues only (I have no issues with my tongue strength or fasics and can talk fine, tent my mouth, wiggle it around, roll my r's etc.) No upper body strength issues either.

Can I please get some reassurance that whatever is going on does NOT sound like bulbar ALS? :oops:

Everything you are describing as "feeling". ALS if about failing, nothing feels different, it just doesn't work. YOU DO NOT HAVE ALS. You do however have anxiety, something which is treatable.
Vincent

Thank you Vincent.
You are right that I do "feel" that everything is off, but am still drinking/eating and breathing despite the unnatural feeling.

Gooseberry- this doesnt sound anything like how your husband started?

Hon you really are describing anxiety very clearly.

Please get to your doctor, there are lots of things they should check out, but ALS is not going to be one of them. I'm so happy to tell you that there are ZERO symptoms that are even remotely like ALS and my husband was bulbar onset. He never 'felt' anything.

You are presumptuous to ask members by name to read here and reply to you, the person you call out is busy just now, this is a terrible disease.

I suggest that now you have had 2 replies from members who can say without a doubt this is still NOT ALS, you should stop coming here again, it is not healthy for you hon.

All the best

You have no ALS symptoms as pointed out above. You do appear to have anxiety and I would recommend you see someone about that. Good luck to you.

Hon you really are describing anxiety very clearly.

Please get to your doctor, there are lots of things they should check out, but ALS is not going to be one of them. I'm so happy to tell you that there are ZERO symptoms that are even remotely like ALS and my husband was bulbar onset. He never 'felt' anything.

You are presumptuous to ask members by name to read here and reply to you, the person you call out is busy just now, this is a terrible disease.

I suggest that now you have had 2 replies from members who can say without a doubt this is still NOT ALS, you should stop coming here again, it is not healthy for you hon.

All the best

Tillie

I'm sorry Tillie. I do not mean to be rude by asking Gooseberry a question and do understand she is dealing with her husband.
I won't ask anymore questions.

Thanks to everyone for responding and I will try to get my anxiety back under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back