Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
massachusetts
City
weymouth
like i said before in my new member message i am so scared about this. I am not sure if some of the thing are just in my head or actual syptoms. Such as my blurry vision who know maybe i am hoping it is so since that is more common with ms then als. i know there is no test to determine if it is als unless they rule out any question but what is the bet test to have done. should i ask for a muscle biopsy. i have had some discomfort in my neck in the back could this cause muscle weekend in my body and in my throat. God i hope and pray this is not als and will pray for all of you who have it and think they have it. God be with you all

Hi Steve. The usual tests for ALS include EMG, NVC, MRI, Lumbar Puncture, Lyme test as well as a myriad of blood tests including CK. The muscle biopsy is usually a last resort as it is quite intrusive. These lab tests are done as well as a complete history and neurological exam. I think there may be others but those are the main ones.
AL.

more questions

if this is als and maybe bulbar als is the throat sore and would it effect the back of the neck area. man this is so cscary not sure what i have but pray it is something else and wish for the best for me and all of you

Try not to freak out steve. I know it's tough, but you have to try to remain calm. I know that's what the Captain of the Titanic said but in this case it's true. Possibly someone else with bulbar symptoms will be able to answer your neck questions.
AL.

stevef said:
if this is als and maybe bulbar als is the throat sore and would it effect the back of the neck area. man this is so cscary not sure what i have but pray it is something else and wish for the best for me and all of you

I've never heard of bulbar symptoms affecting the back of the neck.

Steve,

First, i would tell you to quit researching.......that will cause more symptoms than a rat chasing a cat.....

Second, from what you describe, it sounds like you have classic signs of MS. Look up the symptoms of MS....you fit the profile

Thirdly, get you some meds, like wellbutrin (that's what worked for me) and be really persistent with the doc and tell him exactly what you want, which is:

MRI of head and lumbar...with and without contrast at the strongest imaging possible
EMG and NCV, to include - both arms, legs, paraspinals and your tongue
All bloodwork to rule out other items
Lumbar Pucture (if necessary) - Spinal Tap

Fourthly - Your going to drive yourself crazy....if it is als, there is nothing you can do....but, it's not......

good luck

Rgds,

jamie

Sounds like MS go to a expert on MS Did you have a Brain MRI That is good for diagnosed Ms Pat

waiting game

Experience has taught me that at some point, we have to put our lives in the hands of others and our trust in their experiences, namely doctors. While waiting for my mother's positive diagnosis of ALS, I did much research on Motor Neuron Diseases. I realized quickly that too much of anything is not always a great thing. Too much info can really scare you and freak you out. I stopped looking for what it might be and began to really take in the days with my mum and the long wait for a diagnosis. It was not easy, nor can I put into words what it did to us. At the end of the day.. I looked at it this way.. it would turn out to be... whatever it was meant to be. Whatever that is.. is already here with us in the here and now. We live our lives for today and we take in whatever life throws our way. It is not easy, in fact, this is the hardest part of our lives thus far. Waiting for the diagnosis is very, very tough.. going through the tests is extremely exhausting. Driving yourself crazy? won't make an ounce of difference in the end. Try to get yourself through this one day at a time and try to enjoy your life.. you are alive.

I hope for the best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back