Diagnosis
05/2016
Country
US
State
Maine
City
sherman
I've been kinda hiding in the background and reading all that I can from everyone here and have decided it's time to come out of hiding or more likely denial.

I was diagnosed in March of this year after a four day hospitalization that included several MRI's, numerous lab tests and an EMG. I started having difficulty raising my right arm above my shoulders to do my hair and so forth. I figured it was a nerve problem in my neck that I had about two years ago and started seeing the chiropractor with no benefit. About two weeks later I started having the same problem with my left arm. Two weeks after that I fell because my toe caught while walking across the lawn.

You know it's not good news when your at the hospital and the neurologist comes into the room and says to you and your husband, "let's go in the conference room and talk for a little bit," only to find out that when you get to the conference room all of the other doctors who have been doing testing are also there. I can honestly say I had a panic attack for the first time in my life.

Since that time in March I have been to Mass. Generals ALS clinic for a second opinion. Two weeks ago the diagnosis was confirmed after more testing including a second EMG and more blood tests. My arms now are very easily fatigued and even dinner plates feel like they weigh 10 pounds. I know that my leg is getting weaker but I am still able to walk but am wearing an AFO. When I lift either of my arms I can feel the muscles in my neck having to pull and help with lifting my arms.

I have my own business and am the primary wage earner because of my husband's own cardiac problems. My life has been turned upside down! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome- though sorry you must join us. Your story reminds me very much of my sister's. I am glad you got your second opinion though sorry it was confirmatory.

You know from reading here there is much life to be lived after diagnosis. I look forward to getting to know you
Best wishes

Last edited:
So sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

Sorry to have to welcome you but you are now part of the "family". Ask anything you like, vent when you need to and remember you have thousands of shoulders on this forum to lean on! We will help you in every way we can. Yes it is an emotional roller coaster but once you get through the shock....live you life to the fullest!!!

Vince

Welcome, KB. Glad you came out of lurking. Let us know what we can help with, any time.

Best,
Laurie

Sorry to be welcoming you to the family kitbud, I'm so glad you have introduced yourself xxx

Glad you started posting. Everyone here is very kind and helpful.

Welcome Kitbud. I have found everyone to be so welcoming and helpful. I've learned more here than I have from all of my doctors combined. It's helpful to know you're not alone.

Welcome kitbud.

What a lovely part of the world you live in! I've holidayed (or should I say vacationed) in that part of Maine twice.

Thank you for saying hello, it's not easy.

Ells.

Thank you all for your kind words. I do have a question today. I've had a baseline PFT and this was normal. I have had a cough for about three weeks now and just can't seem to get rid of it. Even if I have a normal PFT, should I be more careful with these cough symptoms or can I just chaulk it up to a regular cold like I would have in the past or should I seek a doctor sooner. I'm not having any shortness of breath or anything but the more I talk the more I cough especially in the later afternoon and evening hours. My sister has also told me when talking to her on the phone that my voice sounds more monotone. I'm glad to have found all of you. I have been feeling so alone despite having a wonderful husband and supportive children and family.

Kitbud,

3 weeks is not a normal amount of time to have a cough associated with a cold. Colds last 7 to 10 days. And if you had some type of respiratory infection, you would be displaying more symptoms would be much more than just a cough. If you are already established with an ALS clinic, you should reach out to them and let them know what's going on. You may need a swallowing study. ALS whittles away at our bodies. We don't just wake up and find we can't move.

Coupled with your "monotone" voice, the cough sounds like some very early bulbar symptoms. I'm not trying to alarm you in any way and what you are experiencing may not be related to ALS but educate yourself and keep your clinicians up to date with ANY changes, whether they seem trivial or not. There is no cure for this disease but there are treatments that can make us more comfortable. The earlier we share these with our providers, the sooner we may get treatments.

My best to you,

Vince

We get some nasty cold viruses here and it's really common to have lingering coughs for months. I rarely get colds but had one over a month ago and this week the lingering cough is finally subsiding.

Since your breathing results are really good, if you are feeling the cough is getting better it may be fine. But if in doubt about anything it is always wise to see a doctor.

Welcome Kitbud! This forum is a wonderful resource and full of supporting people who understand and care.

-Nikki

Sorry to welcome you here, but welcome nonetheless.

Steve

Sorry to welcome you to the group. Hope you find solace amongst us.

hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back