NYC room (4-5 days) for visiting mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patflynn

Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
CA
City
Costa Mesa
Hello,

My oldest brother, who lives in NYC, was recently diagnosed with ALS or something similar to that. The details are still fuzzy. My parents (we live in California) went out there earlier this summer to help him and his family with an important series of testing.

Apparently, there is a major appointment in September that my mother would like to be there for. There is not enough room in my brother's and family's apartment for my mother to stay there.

I thought maybe there might be someone in Manhattan that might have a spare room for 4-5 days for my mother so that she can keep lodging costs down. The current and future expected costs are starting to mount.

Thank you.

Patrick Flynn

I can't help but the hostels in NYC are clean, centrally located, and my daughter has used them several times. Or, call ALSA or MDA to see if they have any suggestions. Or another organization like american cancer society has housing in different areas, maybe they would have room?

Hi Patrick,

I would suggest trying vacation rentals by owners. They offer rentals and have a lot of places with just a room in a home available for rent, which would cost less than renting an entire apartment.

Another thought - you might try putting an ad on Craigslist and seeing if anyone responds. I've had very good luck with placing ads on Craigslist and getting exactly what I was looking for.

I feel for you - my brother was recently diagnosed with ALS; he lives on the East Coast and my parents and I are on the West Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back