Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
OH
City
Burton
I have begun to worry, just a twitch...no pun intended...that I may have some form of neuro problem because for years I have had numbness in my extremities (hands, feet, lips, lower face). I used to think it was due to smoking...lack of blood flow caused by smoking. But, I quit for 15 months and the numbness has progressed to going up my legs and arms and I now have started getting a strong "tingling" sensation in my thumb when I pull my pants up or in my hand if my wrist is "leaning" against a surface that is not flat. I have no insurance at this time and am afraid to get a diagnosis of anything due to pre-existing conditions clauses in any insurance I will get. I am now iso a job with benefits as soon as I can. My brother with bulbar onset didn't have numbness. I have been told that my sister with limb onset had numbness as a symptom. Numbness doesn't appear to be a typical symptom to the onset of ALS. However, after I was told my sister had that symptom, it causes me to be anxious. I also seem to be weakening with my hands because I find myself having to ask for help often when unscrewing bottle caps and even a light bulb the other day.

Did anyone have numbness as a symptom early on?

A bit anxious,
Mary Jo

hi mary joe, i used to experience what i thought was numbness, but i could still feel a pin if you stuck it in me. in my research i've found this can happen in mnd but it's not actual numbness but paralysis. i am so sorry to hear your family history of als, you are bound to be anxious. you need to see a neuro, all the worring and not knowing will only effect your symptoms.
take care
caroline

Mary Jo

Hello Mary Jo

Is the numbness the kind of numbness you get when your hand falls asleep when you lay on top of it? Will it go away when you move your fingers? Is it constant or does it happen at certain times? Could you give us a little more information please so we can better help you.
The tingling feeling (a sensory symptom) is a good sign when it comes to ALS since it doesn't present with that, especially in the initial stages of the disease. It sure sounds like some type of neuropathy (something as simple as carpal tunnel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back