Learn about ALS
Country
Sve
State
Kista
City
Stockholm
Hi

Just want to ask if numbness and tingling is early symptom of ALS or is that even à symptom?

Thanks

No it is not. Here's what you wrote on your other thread....

You're right, it was the Internet search that put me in deep anxiety and stress because I just had a simple twitch.
After all the internet search has it spread to the entire body in a few days.

My doctor said the same thing that it is my stress and anxiety that has created all the symptoms and i have to stop google.
Regarding the referral, he said he absolutely would send me to neuorolog if he could see a slightest deviation but everything was perfect and he told me that I have to trust him.

Please- your doc said you are healthy. If symptoms persist- make another appointment.

Nope...

This is not a normal early issue.

No ALS is a motor neuron disease with no sensory involvement. Our primary discomfort comes from muscle spasms that are occurring as the muscles degrade. It is one of the great mysteries of this disease as to why only the motor neurons die. Weakness 1st, then the other changes.

My husband experiences a geat deal of numbness in his legs and arms it has gotten worse as time goes on, he was diagnosed 6 months ago but has had symptoms for 2-1/2 years.

Just to follow on from patgayle and clarify......numbness and tingling is not an als symptom but it can develop from immobility and poor circulation.
Please stick to the DIHALS forum for such questions.

I haven't seen numbness and tingling reported as ALS symptoms. In fact part of my differential clinical diagnosis of ALS was that I had muscle weakness but no sensory loss such as tingling or numbness. I had numbness in my hand from ulnar entrapment unrelated to ALS, and now my feet tend to go to sleep if I sit for too long. I would call that an indirect effect of ALS because I can't easily move my legs or rise from sitting.

Uh, oh. Maybe a clarification is necessary.

Numbness and tingling are rarely associated with ALS. I have heard PALS incorrectly refer to their inability to move a limb as "numbness", then upon further questioning they admit they have normal sensation of sharp/dull/heat/cold. So they meant weakness and called it numbness by mistake.

patgayle: does your husband have normal sensation in legs and arms?

Thanks,
-Tom

No

Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. LOL

Thank you all for the answers!

Ottawa girl: Doctors do nothing if you only have twitching and no weakness.

By the way my twitching has become less last 3-4 days.
The reason I asked about numbness, my big toe numb (right).

I know that I have been annoying but I appreciate all your replies.
* I must get out of the vicious circle that I ended up in.

My best regards Fenerim

Thanks Tom,I poked my husbands leg and realized he feels everything, including temperature changes. You are right, it is not numbness at all, and much more likely to be from bad circulation and swelling of the feet.

Hi,
I had tingling in my left palm for months before I was diagnosed . Three after diagnosis a neurologist told me that my feet do not sense heat.
current situation- palm is ok. Feet- constantly cold at night.
But my biggest worry are my arms & shoulders. If you want to solve a problem find a bigger one !
Mohan

Numbness and tingling are not considered by doctors symptoms of als but as Mohan said some people with als have these feelings. This doesn't mean that if you have numbness you have als, just like having headache doesn't mean you have a brain tumor.

Thanks for checking patgayle.

I agree kiara & Mohan that sometimes numbness occurs with ALS, especially in late stages. But I wanted to nip this notion in the bud before all the newbees and DIH crowd start thinking that if they have numbness they they must have ALS. Haha.

-Tom

Thanks everyone for all the anwers.
My numbness and tinglingis is gone.
But still twitch all over my body ( widespread ) is has been two months now.
I try to handle it, i feel better but not completly.
There is still periods i think about you a**.

I hope one day i Will let it go

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back