11/2005
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Hi,

Went for a third opinion last week re my ALS.

Although most of my symptoms are consistent with ALS (muscle loss and atrophying, weakness in hands, increased saliva build up, tongue fasciculations. some trouble swallowing, some effort talking) these Doctors noted a couple of symptoms that are inconsistent with ALS.

I often have numbness in my chin and lower face - almost like I just came back from the Dentist after having a freezing. I have dimples in my chin that sometimes just freeze in place. I am advised that numbness is not a typical ALS symptom.

Furthermore, the right side of my tongue and throat are weaker than my left. Although asymmetry is common in ALS for limbs, its apparantpy unusual when it comes to afflicting one particular organ.

Has anyone else experienced these type of symptoms?

I'm being scheduled for a 2nd round EMG and MRI tests.

Thanks.

Have you read Janicebuf's thread on bulbar symtoms update? I think there may be some similarities there. You could post on there or send her a personal message.

Thanks Al.

I just posted on Janice's thread.

i have the tounge fas also and some tounge cramping on the left side but no weakness of the tounge really. My nero keeps saying this is BFS. I didn't think BFS involved the tounge . I was told that tounge fas is a sign of ALS. I am very confused also. What muscles have atrophy? Is it only bulbar? Does he have other symptoms involving other parts of his body ?

Hi Redhed,

The he is me - I'm a PALS.

I have noticeable muscle wasting in my right hand - some atrophying in my right arm - weakness in my left hand.

The muscles to the right of my glottis or adam's apple are weak. I have fasciculations in my tongue as well.

I have received a few replies from a couple of PALS with similar numbness in the chin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back