Not open for further replies.

indianguy

Country
IN
State
MH
City
Mumbai
My maternal uncle died of ALS-MND some years ago. I am 22 years old and have been told that it is possible I may be genetically susceptible to the disease. Since Sunday I've been experiencing a numbness in the base of my thumb, to the best of my knowledge (after consulting an palm anatomy map on google images) the opponens pollicis, and part of the abductor pollicis brevis muscles.

I read on Motor Neurone Disease | Health | Patient.co.uk that "You may also notice that the muscles in your hands (especially at the base of your thumbs) become flatter with time." listed as an early symptom.

I am also an alcoholic (binge drinker, not daily), and on Saturday I had an extremely large quantity of alcohol. Could this be alcoholic neuropathy? I doubt if it is diabetes related as a scrape on my arm that I got on Saturday has healed already. I've had cramps and tingling after drinking previously but they resolved after a good swim and workout, this has not. I have just taken a thiamine shot and have been drinking vegetable & fruit juice.

How long should I wait before consulting a doctor and getting an EMG, TMS etc done? I'm really worried and can make a small donation for a specific reply.

ALS does not cause numbness. Likely due to something else.

Alcohol, however numbs the brain. You may want to reconsider your binge habit.

Hello
I am sorry about your uncle. 90-95 percent of ALS is sporadic not familial so with one relative would not worry much on that score.

Numbness is a sensory symptom and ALS is not a sensory disease. This does not sound like ALS.

You say you are an alcoholic. Please seek treatment for that. Alcoholism is a deadly disease too.

Good luck

Nikki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back