Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
CT
City
New London
So my dad(newly diagnosed) was prescribed Nuedexta and Riluzole this week. His doctor told him to start one medication at a time. So he is to take Riluzole for two weeks then start Nuedexta. He is about one week into riluzole now...is there any harm is starting nuedexta one week early? He is just chomping at the bit to get on everything that might help him.

The nuedexta is off label for swallowing/speech issues.

I was prescribed nuedextra for lability hysteria. It works OK. The main thing to watch out for is if you have Iphone it auto corrects to nuede extra. :)

I would say is OK, but remember, we are the doctors cash cow: call him and ask him. Or email.

He will probably do ok and the 2 weeks is likely somewhat arbitrary. The rationale presumably is if there is an issue and you have 2 new meds it is hard to figure out what caused it. But the people who are intolerant of riluzole can have issues immediately or in a week or 2 or a month or more
I get where your dad is coming from. I felt the same way with starting riluzole and waiting for it to arrive at the pharmacy. A week is unlikely to matter in the long run but can he wait until Monday and call and ask? The doctor might just say ok or might really want him to wait based on his/her experience with other patients

Yeah Nikki thats pretty much what I told him. To wait until Monday when we can get in contact with the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back