11/2016
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Houston
Good Evening,

I ended up researching due to my own problems that I encountered recently. Long story; short

There may be a correlation between NSAIDs and muscle atrophy.

Link Here:

This is a study from 2004 which analyzed the effects of prostaglandin inhibitors on muscles, studied on rats. They saw that muscles that sustained injuries while on COX2 inhibitors/Prostaglandin inhibitors had a delayed regenerative effect when compared to those that did not have these medications.

I dont propose anything, but it may be possible that long use of these specific medications can cause long term damage. A theory, i suppose.

How i got to this:

My father has ALS, been sick for 5 years plus. Sporadic ALS.

I recently suffered a bulging L5 disk injury while at work and was prescribed Meloxicam. From my knowledge this medication was just like a "Tylenol/Advil" so I didnt think much about it. I took it for 1 week completely and by the second week I started noticing weird muscle twitches all around my body. Obviously, from my personal experience I thought the worst.
Reasons for twitching: high caffeine, stress, anxiety, no sleep, dehydration, etc. I live with all of those on the daily.
The day i stopped taking it, twitches were constant and had very bad sleep then i developed more anxiety, muscle pain, over the next days i began to feel a burning sensation; neuropathy with pins and needles all around my body. Over the next days i have had less twitching, neuropathy still present and a feeling of soreness as if i had been working out a lot.

My research for these symptoms had led me to this area.

Im not the best at medicine but I do have 10+ years of experience/knowledge in the medical field.

I believe this speaks to musculoskeletal issues and not neurologic ones, such as ALS. ALS starts in the brain and is not a result of an injured muscle, so NSAIDS would have no correlation to the progression of ALS. Hope that gives you some relief.

NSAIDs do have systemic effects and, for example, are especially dicey in older people, people with heart disease, and others at bleeding risk.

Meloxicam is an old drug with a ton of interactions. It should not have been written for an acute disk injury IMHO. I'm glad you went off it. Ask about PT for your spine.

For what it's worth my mom had lupus but it was the years of being prescribed NSAIDS that eventually caused her death per the hospital Drs...

I never knew my husband to take any NSAIDS FWIW and he had aggressive Bulbar onset with FTD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back