Now what is going on with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Northerngirl is right, Teaquec. The not knowing can drive you frantic! Those stats about 10% actually having ALS are very hopeful, though. From what I see around here, PALS get used to the idea they are going to die-aren't we all- but as a group they seem happier emotionally than, say, 4th stage incurable cancer patients who have the same timeframe but terrible pain. Please let us know how the appointments work out! Cindy

Last edited:
Cat pee on a Gooseberry bush, painted turtle, naked grape and Rigamarole Red are some Okanagan wines that are pretty tasty, trying them all,(not all at once!) Husband is pretty good today on his Lithium and feeling more postive than in a long time, feels good to relax and smile.

Hope all had a good day.

Nicely said cindym,
My father in-law passed away suddenly of a heart attack. We were so blindside it was crazy. His wife never got to say anything, his buddy a retired doctor came to visit after he had a great day with friends and family. Doc suggested he went to em erg just to make sure everything was OK with a mild chest pain. His wife had gone to bed, the doc phoned my husband, who decided to drive in at midnight to the hospital, they told him to go home, his dad would be OK. The nurse came out after him 1 minute later and caught him and 20 minute later, he was gone.

I know ALS is hard for my Mom, but I am treasuring these day. Most of the time she will still laugh. We can chat for hours. She is not afraid of dieing she has her faith. But she is a mom and she worrys about us kids missing her. And we will, but we are a little more prepared.

Years ago my Dad in Law said goodnight to his son and went to his little apartment to read the paper and watch, as he called the Red Sox back then, "The Bums." Next morning they found him propped up in bed, paper in his lap and TV running. Everyone who knew Roy said it was the prefect way to go for him: reading about the Sox and watching them on TV.

But when I saw the shock for the family, I wished they’d had time to prepare themselves.

Now I am watching a family help a beloved member with late-stage 4 cancer. The pain on their faces every day is hard to see.

I guess there is no good way for any of this to happen. It is a transition that everybody must make and maybe the best we can do is hope we can relieve a little of the emotional and physical pain for all concerned.

I guess it comes down to who is it good for?
Remember the movie Grumpy old men? they would talk about someone that died of a heart attack and would answer "Lucky Bastard" . My husband and his side of the family you can not talk about death, or wills or anything, like it might not happen if you don't acknowledge it. My family we talk and laugh about it and we even cry about it. But we acknowledge if you want to play the game of life you got to pay in the price. So live it and love it. I don't know but maybe we were brought up with religion in our family and if you think about it you celebrate Jesus dieing once a year, and mention it ever Sunday. So it was not a bad thing we embraced it. Now that I think about it maybe I should start going back to church:)

Goodbyes

I've had to say goodbye to a brother who died at the age of 57 from colon cancer, my mother who died of lymphoma, and my dad who died of a combination of old age and a appendectomy at the age of 87. These people (as well as many others who have gone on) will always have a possitive influence on my life. My hope is that when I'm gone the people I love will carry a part of me with them--a good part. :eek:)

As for my husband, here's what the neurologist had to say about his second EMG.

Interpretation: Prolonged left Median and Ulnar latencies. Diminished bilateral Tibial motor amplitudes, Low left Median motor conduction velocity. Diminished bilateral Sural and Perneal sensory amplitudes. Absent left Ulnar sensory response. Needle test reveals widespread denervation in left arm and bilateral lower extremities.

Conclusions: This study is suggestive of widespread motor and sensory; motor predominant; generalized neuropathic process. Sensory abnormalities can be from an independent superimposed process. If felt clinically indicated, aggressive search for etiology for a pure motor neuropathic process should be undertaken. This study also reveals left carpal tunnel syndrome.

My husband had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists last fall.

I'm not expecting a diagnosis from anyone here, but I am curious to see if someone could lend some insight based on this report.

Connie

To DMHltd

I couldn't find a sticky not at the top of the page that would explain an EMG.
Connie

Confused again

Is umn and lmn determined only by observation or is there a test that will indicate whether you have one, both, or none?

Also, my husband's Motor Nerve Conduction results show Latency Difference from 1.0ms to 12.7 ms on different parts of his legs and arms.

His Sensory Nerve Conduction results show Latency Difference from 0.4 to 3.5 ms on different parts of his legs and arms.

His Needle EMG Examination shows positive Fibs, + Wave, and Fasc. A couple of areas show "Few" Volitional MAUPs.

I'd appreciate help in understanding these results.

I'm planning to bug the doctor's for explanations from now on. I'm just learning what questions to ask.

I know I'm impatient, but "thanks" for putting up with me.

I'm a school librarian who is retiring this year. My husband and I will both be 62 in August. We're typical of many who have put off those world travels and major improvements on our home until after retirement. Those things seem really unimportant now.

Connie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back