Status
Not open for further replies.
Wright-

I noticed you hadn't been posting in some time and was worried about you. Fasics are VERY VERY strange indeed. Especially when they change. What I've noticed personally ( and I haven't been Dx with ALS yet) is that in BIG muscles they feel different than in little muscles. My first tremor in thumb felt like a heartbeat. My Doc said I can go ahead and call them fasiculations now, because he has seen them in other places. In the bottom fo my feet they feel like when bugs land in a pond. They ripple. In my quads they feel like giant wiggling pieces of licorice and in other places they feel like shudders. You have given so many people encouragement that they do NOT have ALS. What can we do to help?

Cindy

Hey Cindy. If you look closely, this thread started back in January of 2008. It was one of my very first posts. L4dybug resurrected it tonight. By the way L4dybug, those are more than likely muscle twitches he is feeling and seeing . . . and can be caused by a number of different things.

Thank you for your concern, Cindy. That was kind of you. I hope all is well with you.

Ok- I see now that is an old thread. Nonetheless......with all of your advice on here, I hope you know its okay to talk about your own "junk"

I didn't notice it was an older thread. We went to a BBQ/Wii Rock band party/audition tonight and I must admit I've had 3 Coronas with lime. Maybe 4. Damn I'm a lightweight. I don't think I came close to getting into the band, but have had more laughs than I've had in a long time while listening to an old friend ( MR. tough guy do the vocals for Roxeanne- I LITERALLY had to SPLINT my sides....) and when I got home I was checking in on PALS and CALS and UF's (undiagnosed friends?LOL) and seeing this thread on top was a shocker.

take care-

Cindy

well my nerves have been jumping on my body 24/7 for the last for five months dries me nuts. I can't walk upright without a walker I can't use my hands. Simple things like cut meat. Via like an animal sometimes. It's been hurt. I also have to have a lady come in and help me shower. So the nerve thing as far as I know is a normal thing that happens. It's all part of it.

Good luck with it all

Wright,

I am sorry I did this to you, :oops: I did not realize this was an old thread. And I did not think it would get this kind of reaction, lol.

I was just simply reading different posts, and that jumped out at me about the heart beating muscles, and hubby was doing the same thing.

I want you to know how much you, and this forum means to me, it has been such a blessing to me.

I am glad you raised this thread, Lorie. Wright is so helpful around here that I was surprised to be reminded that he only joined about 10 months ago! LOL, I was thinking, Wright, that you've been here all along, dispensing calm and reasoned wisdom to all us out here in limbo-land. Thank you for all you do for us! Cindy

Zapoon,

I think you need to hit 500 posts then you are considered "senior member".

Thanks Cindy~

I know I'm new here, but I have to totally agree with you, I think Wright does an awesome job on here, and so do you Cindy, Al, and the rest. I know there is alot of care, time, ect. that goes into this forum, and I haved learned soooo much since I have been here, and I am so blessed, and thankful I found all of you. ;)

Lad4ybugg

I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if you have had enough posts to receive them, so I'm going to more or less repeat what I said: Why are you apologizing to me? You have done absolutely nothing wrong.

Cindy

When I first saw my neuro about my symptoms, he said I really had nothing to worry about because my fasics were sporadic and that if they got continuous, then there might be a cause to worry. Well . . . as I said in my original post . . . they did get continuous and that caused me concern. I couldn't get a hold of him that day, so I came to this forum for advice.

My neuro actually told me this forum existed (I had no idea) and specifically told me to stay off of it. He knew I was beginning to study ALS (and other similar diseases and syndromes) and all of the things that go along with it . . . and he thought I might venture here. I never would have found you guys if he hadn't mentioned it. I'm not one to "google" for my information . . . but I guess curiosity got the best of me . . . so I looked for this forum.

I did have a couple of glasses of wine that day . . . and I also had a pretty rough couple of years (personal tragedies) prior to my symptoms . . . so it all heightened my level of anxiety . . . but in retrospect, I'm glad. It allowed me to come here. It has been an absolute pleasure to meet you all and a privledge to be here. I truly consider you all an extended family.

One last thing I want to say to everyone: It is ok to be scared. However, you cannot let that fear cause you to be myopic and think that ALS is the only answer to your symptoms. I know it's difficult to do but as we are all finding and learning and know . . . there are so many conditions that can explain the cause our symptoms.

Hey Lori- we are glad you found us, too!

Wright- I think on some level I have you to thank for opening my mind to other possibilities. Thanks to you, I had just about decided to declare myself "cured" when I started having breathing issues. (Well, I'd been complaining for months but it was just this summer that the tests proved I really do have mild impairment.)

I surprised myself for only having a short few hours of panic. Al helped, too by PM'ing me that there could be worse things than needing to go on a Bi-pap, which apparently my health insurance agrees, LOL! :lol:

But the upshot is that all of you have helped me to remain calm and keep an open mind. That really helps a lot! Thanks.

Wright

I know I did nothing wrong, if you know the kind of person I am, kind, and caring, (at least I think I am, lol). I was just trying to be polite.
On the internet, you never really know how people take things. And take it from me with experience, it don't take hardly anything at all to set people off these days, lol. I was just playing it safe. ok. :wink: No hard feelings what so ever. :grin:

Wright,

I apologize for not looking closely enough at the date of the posting that started this thread. I did not realize it was one of your very early postings. I will pay more attention next time.

I'd still like to be a senior member. 500 posts, eh? (being former military, rank is still a big thing with me.)

Hey, anybody out there get fatigue in their jaw muscles?

Zaphoon

Wright,

Many things cause fasciculations including caffeine, stress, thyroid conditions, low magnesium, nerve compression, excercise, tension, neuropathy, numerous medications. One of the charecteristics of benign fasciculation syndrome are fasics that affect the same site repetitively. Also there is a big difference between weakness and perceived weakness. does your arm get tired after doing somthing or are you unable to do somethings? muscle fatigue is also common in BFS and cramp/fasciculation syndrome. If your fasics on your arm are at the distal part of your forearm, put your finger over the area that is twitching and be sure you dont feel a pulse there, some people can see their radial pulse on the anterior side of their distal forearm where the wrist and arm meet. I have accidently started arterial lines instead of IVs in this area on people with interesting anatomy. I know that it is easy to get tunnel vision when it comes to our own health but if you step back and write down your symptoms as if you were reading a post from someone else, what would your opinion be? You should go with that advice. Also there is a pretty good site that covers neuromuscular diagnosis. it is www.neuromuscular.wustlu.edu. I hope you find answers.

Take care.

Gina

Heyyyy, its just anxiety! Seriously, i have not been diagnosed with ALS but i will tell you how my "twitches" start. First they start out like a big heartbeat, almost like someone is poking you from the inside out and a large area of muscle moves.... Everyone can see it. Then as the muscle gets smaller they becomes less frequent but still there and fell like a worm crawling under your skin or like a small heartbeat... But you do not see a large are of muscle move, they now will look like what you would see on the internet to be faciculations......Everyone can see those too! It looks as though someone has a line of your skin attached to a thread under your skin and pulls it over and over.... My weakness definetely came first, now it is not weakness that a neurologist would consider weak but what a physical therapist considers weak. If you can lift your leg a neurologist will consider you strong... The best part now is that when i stretch or yawn hard certain muscles in my arms, stomache and legs quiver or give a shaking sensation....... I dont tell the docs that one,,,,,,,!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back