Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
McEwensville
For the past few days I've felt basically horrible. After a feeding I would feel slightly nauseous, my stomach would feel warm like I had hot coffee, I was lethargic and shivering but I neither felt like nor measured a fever. My initial concern was an infection but with no fever that didn't make sense. The thermometer actually said 97 which is low for me so I figured I had the stomach bug that was going around.

To make a long story short don't trust those cheap CVS thermometer completely. I went to my GP today and as soon as they took my temperature I knew what was wrong. Where we had been getting 97 they got 99. I know that's a small difference but I know me. My body was fighting something. My PEG wasn't sore, didn't itch, only occasionally gucked up the gauze and appeared to me to only be red under the stand-offs but the way I felt and the low grade fever told a different story. Now I'm on cephalexin, two teaspoons three times a day for ten days.

Moral of the story is pay attention to all the indications. I let a $5 thermometer talk me out of what I thought was true. In return I will feel like crap a little longer. Lesson learned.

Yes ... we bought a better thermometer although it was from CVS :?

ZenArcher,

I always feel worse with a temperature of 99 degrees than when it rises to above 101. Above that you just feel like you are cooking a bit but not as horrible as those low grade fevers. I always know when I am starting a fever but often the oral thermometer doesn't register it. My grandkids ear thermometer is great.

Hope you are on the mend soon.

ND

Jeff,
Been there done that. I feel like He.. when I have a fever of 99. I also feel worse at 99 than just about any other tempature. I have a house full of thermometers that do not work. I just bought a new at CVS.. today was extra care bucks. .. LOVE those, love CVS.. I sure hope you are on the mend and feeling better soon. Great advice to boot thank you...

well i am glad you got some medicin hope you feel well soon

So sorry you have been feeling unwell.
With all the financial strain that this malady brings, it is only too clear we have to try to economise SOMEWHERE. But clearly no in matters of health.

Jeff -

I'm sorry to hear that you are not well at the moment, but fortunately with the assistance of some meds, bright skies are on the horizon. My normal temp is about 97 or even as low as 96 due to a slow thyroid, so that wouldn't seem odd to me at all, sad to say. By the time mine gets to 99, I'm feeling pretty bad. I have the thermometer that reads from the forehead and I love it. It's a CVS thing, too.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

sorry to hear your not so well jeff,i hope your temp and infection clears up soon.

me when i get a temp/infection i know because i get cold shivers.

Jeff, bless your heart....and all your other parts!:-D Hope each day you feel better and better. Peace and prayers.

Hope you're feeling better soon buddy.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back