Now Extremly Concerned....(opinions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could sort of see something in the first picture but not sure. Have you been to the neurologist yet? And if so, what do they say?

Atrophy

It looks like it may be atrophy starting. I should take a picture of my husband's atrophied right hand and forearm. His atrophy is not questionable. It is profound. But he has CIDP MADSAM.
Laurel

Hey,
if I turn my thumb that way, I see almost the same dent...I doubt its atrophy too, but please other members tell us, if your thumb atrophy looked like this?
If so, Im extremely concerned too!
I think its very important if you can see it while resting or only when turn your thumb.

I have something that looks like that dent on both my thumbs - not seen when the hand is at rest though, only when the thumbs are extended under specific angle. I think thats the 'line' separating different muscles - if its of any help my wife has them too.

I doubt thats atrophy (at least in my case) because my grip strength is very good afaik.

dimd00d: Surely it helps! Thank you for reassurance, I hope Codye will read it too.

I guess - correct me please if Im wrong - until there is "new" dent visible when the muscle is resting, its not atrophy.
However, I doesnt have it on my left thumb, but on this one I have also more fat - probably Im right handed so my right thumb is just better trained?

Well, you are a girl, so I guess your muscles are not that defined to the 'dent' is obvious.

You can try some 'grip master' type device and see if there is a big difference between hands I guess.

this dent isnt noticable while at rest, but i dont believe it has always been like that...hopefully....i pray that it is nothing, and thanks for your input....is atrophy like that almost always accompanied with some sort of weakness though?

I think so, the way I reason is - atrophy means dead muscle - you *should* notice a weakness.

Look at this picture:

http://www.bartleby.com/107/Images/small/image427.jpg

You can see, there are 3 muscles in the thumb, so there is a reason why you can see the dent..it could be just place where those overlap or one ends and second begins..

As I said, I can see it only on my right hand, my left looks completely without it.

ok, so if this happens to be atrophy...what other kinds of things can cause the widespreas twitching and atrophy..other than ALS?

Why you keep thinking its atrophy, if others say they have it too :)

Anyway, what could be - Lyme disease, thyroid problems, metabolic issues, neuropathies...

With ALS twitching, atrophy appears in the spot which twitch, as a result of denervation (which twitching is sign of). I hope Wright will post here... I mean - I have heard of rare cases where ALS started with twitching, some PALS described it on this forum..but I dont think anybody had bodyspread twitching. As long as you have it in many places, its better.

With ALS twitching, atrophy appears in the spot which twitch, as a result of denervation (which twitching is sign of).

are u sure about this?

i have twitching in my elbow/forearm region, biceps...jumping twitches, thigss, calves, neck, shoulder occasionally...lately the most prominent have def been biceps and thighs though.

Cody- I deleted your duplicate post. Not sure why the first one did not show up in real time.

Also- the ALS clinic noted in my report that I have "muscle wasting below both wrists," but they did not find enough criteria for ALS. That was 2 years ago, and I am still the same.

Take heart. :smile: Cindy

Cody- I deleted your duplicate post. Not sure why the first one did not show up in real time.

Also- the ALS clinic noted in my report that I have "muscle wasting below both wrists," but they did not find enough criteria for ALS. That was 2 years ago, and I am still the same.

Take heart. Cindy

thank you.....i am hopeful that i do not have this, but also afraid I might....i have another EMG set up for next fri...with a PA but he is an excellent PA and person whom I trust, so hopefully all goes well...

my wife and doctor get on to me for coming on this website..they think it causes anxiety, but sometimes i feel like its the only thing keeping me sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back