Now Extremly Concerned....(opinions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the medical personnel do it to me. During the swallow study last week, one of the assistants ~ the one that mixes up the yum-O concoctions, came over to me, and said with such sincerity 'but you look really good" .... (so I offered her a bite of cookie) :cool:

Well, I have found that when I'm using a cane, I look terrible to all but those in the medical community. So, to spare my friends from spilling over with sympathy and questions, I keep the cane in the car and just use it when absolutely necessary.

At least now I know what to do when I feel the need for sympathy; I just break out the cane!

You know, these diseases/disorders can really play with your mind and emotions. Oh, I don't laugh or cry like most but I find myself getting aggravated and terse with myself and mutter and utter things I ordinarily would not. Especially when I drop things and have to bend over.

Shucks! Shucky D a r n ! ! !

Well, you get the picture. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

I digress... Happy thoughts! Happy thoughts!

once again..i appreciate everyones opinions, and will let yall know how it goes on friday.

I dont see atrophy in you hand at all in the second picture I dont know what the first picture is.

Pat

I'll go back and read the post, but your hand looks normal (not ALS) to me...or at least, nothing like mine,
EXCEPT that your thumb looks bent at an extreme angle to me (double jointed).
my onset was the thenar muscle in left hand
see the big fleshy bulge that i circled in red on your picture?
that's your thenar muscle. mine shrank--turned into a depression or cavity
what i noticed was my hand got tired at the computer, then i saw the atrophy, then the PT did tests and i discovered i could not touch the pad of my thumb to the pad of my pinkie
then two years later the same thing happened on the right hand

i know its hard to see...i wish i could get a better picture ..my camera sucks!

Heres A Video Of Mine Hand Issue..tell Me What U Think

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but I tried your links and got nothing but advertizing. Maybe try a different server.

AL.

so i had another emg today ...just on my right arm which is my main area of concern...no twitches or fribs during the whole thing, and the doc says my nerve conduction is off the chart, and my strength is great... He did look a little concerned with the area of my hand im worried about, but he tells me he doesnt promise anything, but he is pretty sure I dont have ALS...he is super nice, and willing to really take the time to make you as comfortable as well asinformed as possible...and says if i have any fears at all to come back and see him...only charged $100 which i thought was cool....so I guess all I can do is live and wait.

congratulations! thats terrific!
i guess you know LOTS of people have BFS--benign fasciculation syndrome, they just twitch. you can take baclofin to stop it if it bothers you, or just ignore it.

Here's a couple of shots of my left hand for comparison. There is basically nothing left to my thumb but bone and I can see the tendons in my palm.

Hi Zen,
How long has taken your thumbpad to be flat? (weeks, months or years)?
It happened in both hands at the same time?
Do you feel any pain?

Thanks

Month or two

For me, the whole deal started in March '05 in the same way I've seen a lot of PALS report lately:
My left thenar (thumb) muscle disintegrated, turning the big fleshy part of the palm at the base of the thumb into a sunken depression--my hand looks a LOT like Jeff's (Zen Archer's) photos.
I'd say it probably took took a month or two to go from a normal hand to a weird alien looking thing lacking an opposable thumb.

After that I was fairly stable for two years, then my neck & back weakened and the right hand began declining just like the left.

I now use the biPap at night--it helps a lot. I continue to atrophy in the limbs. Walking, standing and climbing stairs is doable, but limited by back and neck weakness. I can still ride my recumbent bicycle--its done wonders for my mobility and independence.

The breathing difficulties were preceded by cramping in the abdomen whenever I coughed or sneezed.

Sorry, I must have missed your post Onemore. I first noticed weakness in my left hand in mid - late 2005. It was probably a year or more later until I noticed atrophy. My right hand was fine until late 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back