Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
IN
City
Evansville
First off, let me say I have reservations about even posting this because half of me feels silly, but I can't get the concern out of my head.

I'm a w/f 41. Back in March of this year I had some severe neck pain, went to the dr, got steroid shots and was on my way.

May 1st, I wrecked my motorcycle, landed mostly on my right side (same side as the previous neck pain) and blew out my right ACL. I've been in PT since surgery and still go, it's slow going for whatever reason.

Last month the pain came back in my neck and has continued to pretty much stay there, radiating down my arm and just general burning sensation in my back that's constant with little relief. I'm an emergency dispatcher who works thirds and noticed one night when I stretched, my right tricep burned like no other. Like it hadn't been stretched. Left side was normal. For whatever reason a few weeks later I stood topless in front of my mirror and held out arms and noticed my "chicken wings" are considerably smaller on my right side. So, off to the dr I go and he sees it too and checks my strength and notices I have weaker strength on my right than my left. Stated what I was fearing and said "yeah, you could have ALS, but I really don't think so"..Went for an MRI of my Cervical Spine and Thoratic and got the results yesterday from the receptionist who only said I have Cervical Disc Disease.

Are my concerns at this point unfounded and should I put ALS out of my mind for good with that kind of diagnosis? Does that explain why my right side is smaller than my left and the weakness? I have read the sticky post so many times I could probably recite it, but the smaller muscles have me worried the most and would just like some reassurance.

Definitely put ALS out of your mind.

Cervical disc disease and trauma can lead to muscle imbalance and localized atrophy.

Keep working with your doctors. There’s also a role for physical therapy in your situation.

Thank you so much Karen! Continued prayers for you and everyone affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back