Nothing Works (constipation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Does anyone have a good idea of how my mom can get rid of problem constipation due to the formula she eats. She has tried different formulas and different drugs. Nothing seems to work more than once. Any ideas would be a big help.
I wish everyone a great day!
Thanks
Paul :)

first read this http://www.alsa-or.org/treatment/treatment.htm
I take a lot fluids via my feeding tube and take 15mls of Milk of Magnesia three times a a week. It took a year of trying different things before we figured what worked best for me.
Patsy

Thank You Patsy,
I think she is or has already tried milk of magnesia; but maybe not enough or the way you have taken it.
I very much appreciate your response, I will let her know and give you an update.
Sincerely,
Paul

Dear Patsy,
I showed my mom what you wrote and she says thank you.
She already tried milk of magnesia with some success, but her neurologist told her to stop as is was too abrasive for her system?
Maybe the abrasiveness is worth it if it works. as the alternative is not better.
She may go back to it if she can't find anything else that works. Thank you again for the good option,
Sincerely,
Paul

I also take 1/2 cup of high fibre that is purreed with water down the feeding tube everyday. You could use prune juice instead , easier!
Patsy

I forgot a word: high fibre fruit!
Patsy

constipation

you might also try a tea called....smooth move....
buy it at a health food store.

I'd try the prune juice or buy dried prunes and puree it in a blender. Works for my 91 year old dad. He's healthy but constipated once in a while.

is she having a lot of difficulty passing the stool? or just not going at all?
there is a bit of a difference. i would start with any natural laxative and/or stool softener. might try what they call a "probiotic" this helps keep the bowel tract healthy, and also promotes proper movements. high doses of vitamin C will also aid in the cleansing. and if nothing else works get a prepackaged enema.... but i would recommend trying the more natural and tolerable ways first. good luck

quick add.... just read on a box of epsom salts....use as a laxative....
might be worth a try?
but i think adding something natural on a regular basis will be the best long term solution....

Hi Paul,
Certainly a common and frustrating problem!

I would concur with Patsy about the high fibre foods and prune juice. Also ronney's suggestion of the probiotic.

Myself, I drink a warm glass of water. A Dr of Chinese medicine suggested that and it works pretty well.

What drugs? Why drugs?

You certainly do not need to answer that question. Your mom's prescriptions are none of our business.

Maybe take what we have suggested and discuss it with her Doctor. He'll know better than us what will work.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Senna is the liquid form of Senakot and it seems to be working like gangbusters with my patient. 2 teaspoons a day. tastes like chocolate and he loves it!

any pharmacy can get it!

mike

Hi Paul,
Myself, I drink a warm glass of water. A Dr of Chinese medicine suggested that and it works pretty well.

What drugs? Why drugs?

You certainly do not need to answer that question. Your mom's prescriptions are none of our business.
Maybe take what we have suggested and discuss it with her Doctor. He'll know better than us what will work.

I saw a bunch of doctors in the last five years. Every one without exception was clueless. Maybe some day I will post details. I know more about what concerns me than the doctors know. (They know more than I know about things that I don't give a rat's @$$ about.) I am puzzled that people have more faith in doctors than a saint has in God.

If asking what drugs someone is taking is improper, then at least that person should do a Google search on the drugs and find out things that the doctors won't tell you.

Drugs have two kinds of effects: intended poisonous effects and unintended poisonous effects. The latter are called "side effects".

Last edited by a moderator:
three cheers for you jerry. doctors would have a hard time finding their elbow without a graph ! i have 3 doctors that i "use"...basically i tell them what i want or need...but i agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments.

so, whats the difference between g-d and a doctor?
g-d doesn't think he's a doctor!

just a little levity, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back