Other
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Windsor
how do you define widespread?
in a year... my twitches progressed SLOWLY from my calf, up to my upper leg, sometimes in my foot... that lasted alone in my leg for about 4 months... then moved on to other leg... then within 8 months was in my right arm... then moved to my left arm...

is that still considered too "widespread" over the course of a year. Or does that sound like ALS?
it's funny - there's "hot spots" where it occurs the most though. 1) right above my right and left knees. and 2) right at the forearm of my right arm

anyway. does this still sound too "widespread"?
I'd really, really appreciate a response or two!
thanks a lot, people!:p

Hi kid. That could be considered wide spread in some circles. Hot spots doesn't sound like ALS. Twitching alone is not an ALS symptom. BFS sounds more likely. The more you watch, the worse they'll get. Have you seen a doc yet? Any weakness?

AL.

I've seen a doc at the clinic. she said that the basic neuro stuff (strength, coordination, reflexes) are in check.

The twitches & spasms are usually concentrated in my legs and feet - but also occur in the one arm a lot... and sometimes even the face and temple.

Sometimes I wake up in the morning with a real gagging feelin in my throat like I'm going to puke. Sometimes it's so bad if I even yawn or swallow too hard, I do puke (which is basically dry heaves) - I've had some difficulty swallowing for the past couple of months too - I think this has caused this. It's not a from-the-gut-sickness puke, it's like my poor throat has been so abused with this difficult-swallowing (especially in my sleep), that it's just a gag reflex?

and yes, my muscles do feel weak.

Also to clarify I don't know if I really even believe myself that my throat problem has anything to do with what's happening to the rest of my body...

but as far as the twitches - sometimes they're just so rapidfire - but cannot be seen - like they are under the skin - other times you can definitely see them, but it's a slower, more faint twitch.

any advice?
sound like ALS?

What does mean 'hot spots'? Example?

Best wishes.

Hot spots mean twitching in the same area for a period of time.

Ok, I'm really worried now. This is the like the 5-6 morning of throwing up (just mucus) - it seems I wake up with a HUGE gagging problem. I try to keep it under control, but if I cough, yawn or whatever, I can't help to just start puking (and puking hard - yet nothing's coming out except some mucus from my throat). The other times it happened when I tried to ignore the gagging problem and tried brushing my teeth - and inevitably I'm keeled over the toilet puking.

IS THIS related to ALS? Please tell me no. Because it could easily make sense seeing as I've noticed some difficulty swallowing (saliva is packed up in throat, and it seems more difficult to get things down).

All of this in the span of a year?

Please get back. Thank You.

Thanks, James. Glad to know you're doing so swell.

But to reiterate:

Ok, I'm really worried now. This is the like the 5-6 morning of throwing up (just mucus) - it seems I wake up with a HUGE gagging problem. I try to keep it under control, but if I cough, yawn or whatever, I can't help to just start puking (and puking hard - yet nothing's coming out except some mucus from my throat). The other times it happened when I tried to ignore the gagging problem and tried brushing my teeth - and inevitably I'm keeled over the toilet puking.

IS THIS related to ALS? Please tell me no. Because it could easily make sense seeing as I've noticed some difficulty swallowing (saliva is packed up in throat, and it seems more difficult to get things down).

All of this in the span of a year?

Please get back. Thank You

thanks, James.

does anyone else out there have any advice? does this sound like possibly ALS?

and James - when I said "doing so swell" I meant your spirits, under the circumstances! Just to clarify!

also, I've noticed:

using a particular limb causes more fasciculations. If I stretch my one calf out, it'll spasm more, or if I put more pressure on one leg, the calf'll spasm more. Isn't this usually indicitive of MND and not BFS?

I have had these muscle spasms for 2 years and two months. I have some strange feelings on my throat too and I don't know what is. The doctors don't know what is the cause for these symptoms. The only thing that they do is make some emg tests for the last 2 years and they are following me with regular emgs. They gave me gabapentin that is a drug to control epilepsy but it helps to relief the symptoms. I have had all the kinds of twitches you can imagine. With muscle a t rest, right after moving a muscle, "hot spots" and all that you described. The only advice I can give you is don't think too much about this because only the time will say if it is benign or not and in any case you will lost your time and life with your fears like I did for the last 2 years.

God stay with you.

nightwolf,

so you ended up not diagnosed with any illness?

can anyone relate to the gag reflex + vomit in the morning problem. It's like I can't even cough, or that'll set it off - and I vomit really, really harshly - barely anything comes out but acidy phlegm - makes it all the more horrible. Always when I get up.
Thanks.

I would go to an ent as soon as you can to reassure your self. I mean that sounds like such an extreme gag reflex that if it was Umn/als that your Nuero would have seen something in your exam?

Kid_Ali,

If its only in the morning I would agree with April to see an ENT (and possibly a GI doc, if you have bile coming up). Certainly no expert, but I don't think an UMN related hyper gag reflex would be limited to one time during the day (I may be wrong). However, if you have severe reflux or a similiar problem you could have stuff creeping while you are laying down.

Take care,

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back