PALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Sealy
Hi, My name is Lisa..

My story starts 2 years ago . When my symptoms began.. I initially thought I had a stroke on my left side.. My husband took me to the er and all the test came out fine..
I would say the weakness lasted about a week..
A couple months went by and then again, started having left side arm and leg weakness.. Thought maybe I was working too hard andcut back on my hours. Symptoms subsided a couple weeks later.
About 6 months later again, left side weakness, with numbness in legs..
I went to see my doctor and with the symptoms I was having, he said he suspected MS. He referred me to a Nuerologist...he did the pin prick test on my left side and was amazed at how I could hardly feel anything... He examined me and tested my blood, MRI without contrast, spinal tap, And everything came out ok there.
He did an EMG on my left side... The result were All abnormal on that left side. the whole side... After that test, he told me that there is defenitley something going on...
So, his next step was to do a muscle biopsy.
AT this time, I was trying to finishing a nursing program as a Emergency Medical Tech..
SO, I postponed my appointments, which I regret today. Because My husband soon lost his job and our insurance..
So now in the last 9 months I have had some pretty bad spells. I ened up in the er 2 times, which I was kept overnight and given solu-medrol IV.. After about 3 weeks, I recover.
My spells today have gotten worse, My shoulder droops down a bit now on my left side, and at times I walk with a limp. I have alot of balance problems.(vertigo) 2 hard falls in the last 4 months. I do have some vision problems. But no blind spots.. I have had some shooting pains in my right eye. I have muscle twithes alot of the time. all over my body.
I am hoping that pretty soon I can get my insurance back, My husband was waiting to add me , but has recently had a mojor crush injury at work. So, here I am again,no insurance. I was working in the ER a couple months back. Almost had insurance there, but had to quit full time.Due to a bad spell at work...
I have decided to try to put my health first, But I don't know what to do at this point.
I am scared that it is ALS . COuld I have ALS and have these symptoms for so long... Or does anyone have any other suggestions on what this could be..
Again, I have had MRI one time of brain a year ago without contrast. Negative. Blood test a year ago were all ok... I did have one titer test come back bad, but when retested, it was ok.
SPinal tap a year ago was ok also.
The only thing showing bad during all the test last year was EMG....
Thats all the test we had gotten to until I lost my insurance...

By the way, I am New to this site. And wanted to thank anyone who could take the time to share any information.
Thank you....

Hi Lisa and welcome to the site. I hope you will be able to get some answers soon to what is happening to you. Clearly, you need a bunch of tests to ruel out things like Lyme disease or some of the less troublesome MND's. The issue of insurance is a big one, though. Do you maybe live in a state that offers free or partially free care? I wish I could think of something right away but maybe other, more experienced members, will have something to offer.

One thought that came to mind is your State's rehabilitation agency. If you or hubby presented yourself as someone who wanted to work but needed some health issues cleared up I wonder if they would offer free healthcare? Just a thought. Regards, Cindy

Hi Lisa -

You might also want to contact your local branch of the Muscular Dystrophy Association for guidance re: where/how to access the medical services you need. Good luck.

Liz

yES THE MDA WILL HELP PAY THE BILLS WHERE DO YOU LIVE? IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE ALS IT SOUNDS LIKE MS OR LYMES THE FACT THE METDROL HELPED. IT DOESNT HELP ALS AND ALS DOESNT COME AND GO AND DOESNT CAUSE NUMBNESS .SO YOU NEED FURTHER TESTING..TRY TO APPLY FOR MEDICARE PAT.

thanks

Thank you, I will surely check into that..... I feel also that it is more related to MS..But i didn't think that I would have a abnormal EMG with MS. But I learn something new everyday. I try to do so much research.. As I am sure so many people do that are looking for a diagnosis...
:)

Not Sure

Yes, I will get those results out of my trunk and post them on here...
I haven't had any testing done in a year. and the test I did have at the time, I had only been having symptoms for about 8 months. And never had an MRI with contrast...
this will be a journey I know, But I will find out something, and I will post what i Find out.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back