Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
ID
City
Pocatello
I have had major health anxiety since I got Covid in January of 2021. I know that’s the first thing that should keep me out of here. Trust me I tried. Over the last summer my left middle finger began twitching. It went away and then my right thumb started twitching a few weeks later. It eventually went away. At this time I was playing a ton of golf (like 5 times a week) and changed it up to that.

The end of September my wife and I watched Father Stu. I had heard of ALS but never new much about it so I looked it up. Let me just say my life has been turned upside down ever since. I went to my GP and told him what was going on and he said let’s do an EMG. It was done the second week of November. The earliest I could get back into my GP for the results was last Friday. He said I have very mild carpal tunnel and very mild ulnar nerve entrapment.

I have no pain. I have the whole body twitches like all the other people who think they might have it. The only difference is that I have a dirty EMG and they have clean ones. I have read the thread from SteveO who had the same issues and was eventually diagnosed with ALS. My GP doesn’t see the need to evaluate any further. I don’t have a copy of my EMG. I plan on getting it Friday.

Everyone around me thinks I am nuts. I probably am! I have no clinical weekends that I know of. No atrophy. Just horrendous fasciculations all over. I have lost some weight over the last week and a half which has me concerned that maybe muscles are starting to water away. Any help/advice will be welcomed. Thank you and God bless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello-

Sorry you find yourself here. Please make sure to read the following two links:

Read Before Posting

COVID 19 and Neurological Symptoms

Your EMG does not show ALS. Your doctor provided you with the actual results- which are not all to do with ALS. If your GP doesn't see the need to evaluate further, we would not contradict that. You would be much better served asking your doctor what your next steps are for sorting out your trapped ulnar nerve.

In the above link about Covid, you will read there are quite a few neurological symptoms that can come along with Covid. Some of them take months to lessen or resolve. You might also have a look at some post-covid online communities for peer support and shared experience.

Take care

Last edited:
Those links provided are well written and we put a load of time into them.

Read them, then stop reading anything else and work with your doctors.
You really don't have a single thing that would make anyone suspect ALS.

All the best.

Affected thank you so much for the fast response. I have read both of those more times than I can count. I feel way better after I read them and then the next day comes along and I am back to square one.

I am on a couple of anxiety medications and am trying to pull myself out of this hole. Then I Google search and see articles that say that carpal tunnel is commonly mistaken for ALS.

Then I read the post from SteveO who was recently diagnosed and it sounds like what I have going on. Thanks again for your insight.

I don't see how you can possibly compare yourself to that new member who has given us zero information on their diagnostic journey.

Once again, this is why I hate sounding dismissive of people here, but we just don't have the resources for this. (remember this forum is for the terminally ill and their carers)
Anyone can type any number of symptoms they think they are having, and talk about any number of things they have read. That doesn't mean anything really. We can't examine you and perform tests.

That is what your doctor is for.
I strongly suggest that every time you wake up and start all the worry again, you make an appointment and talk it all out with your doctor. Every single time.
If you say, oh I couldn't do that, then stop and remind yourself it is your anxiety.
Either get to a doctor, or get on with your day.

I hope you get back to full health soon. We can't go down rabbit holes that people dig.
You have come and asked, we have answered, and I'm honestly so glad you don't have symptoms.

SteveO provided enough details to easily distinguish himself from you, CS. His neurological history is obviously more extensive than twitching.

And, contrary to your statement, you do not have a "dirty EMG" as regards ALS. You have a couple of extremely common wrist/hand issues, that a PT regimen and/or home program can be very helpful for.

You won't find posts from anyone here who had "whole body twitching" and subsequently developed ALS with a no-ALS EMG and no other issues. You are not manifesting ALS onset, a wonderful thing, meaning that you don't belong here. Do yourself a favor, block this site, and ask the doc what the next steps should be. If you can't let go of your anxiety, there are counselors and meds for that. If you need more or a better approach, reach out and get what you need before this ruins your life and possibly marriage.

Closing this thread so you can get to work on your issues "on the ground."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back