Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IN
City
Valpo
Symptoms have been going on and off for several months.

Pain in the top of left shoulder.
Calves have sticky, itchy pain on the sides.
Thighs feel heavy.
Left pinkie toe feels like it has a compressed nerve feeling behind it; seems to move sideways on its own.

Occasional little "burps" in many muscles. Random vibrations in legs and feet that don't last long. Undulations in glutes.

Doctors have been checking for foot drop and Babinski, those aren't present.

Does not sound like ALS - especially the on and off part.

Is your GP contemplating further testing?

Are your symptoms impacting your daily activities? Are you overweight? Hovering over a computer all day? Shoes the right size? (we all have a foot larger than the other and an ill fitting shoe can compress the toes, yet not feel tight). Are you exercising too hard or just recently started a regimen?

If I were you, I wouldn't jump to conclusions and think you may have a fatal illness. As you may read, ALS is, thankfully, quite rare. There are many many things which need to be ruled out. Most are simple and fixable.

Does not sound like ALS - especially the on and off part.

Is your GP contemplating further testing?

Are your symptoms impacting your daily activities? Are you overweight? Hovering over a computer all day? Shoes the right size? (we all have a foot larger than the other and an ill fitting shoe can compress the toes, yet not feel tight). Are you exercising too hard or just recently started a regimen?

If I were you, I wouldn't jump to conclusions and think you may have a fatal illness. As you may read, ALS is, thankfully, quite rare. There are many many things which need to be ruled out. Most are simple and fixable.

Thanks for the reply.
I am not active like I used to be, especially with the onset of the leg pain as of 3 months ago.

I am skinny, but hover over a computer. I wasn't exercising, than started a hard regimen 3 months ago, than stopped, and now I gently began again. I feel like I'm 80 with some bone cracking, too.

My ears also pop when I lie down - hope that's just my sinuses.

I think you should get further testing for your symptoms. But, I am almost 100% sure from them that you don't have ALS. Get checked out but don't worry about ALS. Good luck to you. Kim

I think you should get further testing for your symptoms. But, I am almost 100% sure from them that you don't have ALS. Get checked out but don't worry about ALS. Good luck to you. Kim

Thank you, Kim.

I will be having an EMG soon.

I have avoided a lot of strenuous activity. I tried to run down my hallway today. My calves felt tight and with a bit of burning pain on the sides. Not sure if that's a hallmark - feels like someone is pulling the hair out of my legs.

I had the EMG done.
They said I was "doing good" and the report says "normal" everywhere, except that I have "somewhat brisk deep tendon reflexes, but they are symmetrical."

What does that mean? Was I just nervous?

I'm no doctor - but I suspect it's good news. You don't have ALS.

What were you told about follow up and/or cause of your discomfort?

The techs didn't say anything....I had a different Neuro administer the test. I have a follow-up in September.

Should I call the Neuro that saw me and ask for further info? She's professional but rather brief.

I would think if there was something wrong that it would have been explained to you. I am not a dr but I think you can rest easy.

Hi,

sounds like good news. My neuro appt and tests were the same..Brisk reflexes can be somewhat common especially if the person is anxious. They note symmetrical because it is less odd then if you had one leg for example that was very brisk and the other was not especially if you are having more symptoms in one versus the other. Anyway, with a normal EMG and the rest of your clinical exam being normal that is good. Maybe you have BFS? Benign, if you go to the BFS board you will see most people on there had brisk reflexes noted also but nothing else out of the range of normal. You may want to ask your neuro about it. I flat out asked my neuro what I had after my EMG since he said no signs of MND/ALS. He said "post viral syndrome". I was sick when I started to have issues so I accept the diagnosis. You should ask your neuro what you have also.

My neuro said possibly BFS, and possibly fibromyalgia.

She's confident it's not MS after 1 MRI, but I'm anxious about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back