Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Florida
City
Daytona Beach
Hello all. I’ll start off by saying Happy New Year and I hope everyone has a joyful evening. I’m a new member to this forum but I’ve been reading post after post as a guest. I’m a 21 year old female who has been having worrisome (to me) symptoms.

I’ll admit to everyone I am somewhat of a hypochondriac. My father had stage 4 colon cancer when I was young and it lead my mental health down a rabbit hole. I had a colonoscopy a few months ago and they found a pre cancerous polyp which I will admit shook me. I’ve been stressed ever since I got the news of that.

Moving on, in the last two months I’ve been having very strange symptoms. It started with a twitch under my right eye, to the right of my nose. Now the twitches seem to be everywhere. Very widespread but a vast majority of them are in my left upper arm. And of course when you google muscle spasms ALS comes up. I’m sure you all know this.

so I went ahead and had an MRI done. Everything came back normal. Had blood test ran, everything normal. I’ve been taking a magnesium supplement but that doesn’t seem to be helping. I’m still having the spasms. My primary care doctor checked my reflexes and strengths and everything checked out. I should also mention I have sensory issues as well. Pins and needles in legs/feet. “Numbness” in toes. Pine and needs in fingers although not a lot.

So I tried to forget about the spasms. But about a week ago I started experiencing something that is concerning me... my right hand will get very stiff. My index finger felt like there was a band around the base of it for about a week and went away. Now all of my fingers will feel strange from time to time. My spasms are not 24/7 but every now and then. Definitely every day but not all day.

I can still grip strong in both hands and have no weakness. I’m not sure if this is my anxiety/hypochondriac. It seems that even when I am trying to relax I still get these symptoms. I’ve been a nervous wreck to say the least. I’m not sure if I should go see a neurologist and request to have an emg or if that would be silly. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I experienced a twitch in my tongue today and have also experienced muscle spasms in both ear canals... which is new.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Thank you for your advice and reply.

Hi there,

It sounds not at all like ALS. Please take the worry from your mind and enjoy 2019.

Good luck to you.

Thank you so much for your reply, you enjoy your new year as well!

need an opinion

Hello all. 21 year old female. I’ve posted here before complaining of body wide twitches and I’m posting again as I guess you could say an update. Twitching for 10 weeks now.

On Jan 14th I saw a neurologist who performed a clinical and ran some blood test. Everything came back normal but suggested we do an emg. Had my EMG Jan 21st. Came back clean! They did the EMG on my right arm, both legs, upper back and back of neck. Didn’t do nerve conduction on upper back or back of neck just the needle part.

However, I now feel like my left hand is weak. I dropped something this morning but squeezed my husbands hand later on and he said it felt strong. Not sure if I am overthinking it?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
Re: need an opinion

Yes, you are over thinking it. To date,you have had a clean clinical exam, clean EMG, and to the contrary of what you think ALS is, no ALS symptoms. So, i ask then, why are you still on an ALS forum?

Please, it's best you let this completely unfounded fear of a fairly horrific disease go. Time to enjoy your enviable good health. The only thing you should focus on going forward is trying to be grateful for this.

Good luck to you and take good care.

Re: need an opinion

If I had a nickel for every time I dropped something or twitched...as BestFriend says, you have no reason to think about ALS. And yes, it is overthinking that leads to anxiety that makes twitches/shakes/perceived weakness worse. So enjoy your life with or without them.

Best,
Laurie

Mod note- merged threads. Please keep posting on your already open thread- it helps people see the entire picture. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back