Reason
Other
Country
US
State
MI
City
Ann Arbor
Hi guys. I'll start out by saying thanks to anyone that takes their time to read this and/or reply.

I have always twitched (rather infrequently) in my right butt cheek . During a particularly stressful period of time, I was twitching there more and more. I made the oh-so-common mistake of googling the issue, and after seeing ALS, I started twitching body-wide almost immediately.

About a month after that, I went and got an EMG mid-february, which was done on both my right arm and leg. That was perfectly normal.

The twitching heavily subsided since then, from nearly constant twitches to only a couple times a day or less.

I had another EMG yesterday, and this neurologist put the needle in at least 20 spots on my body. Both shins, calves, thighs, butt cheeks, in my back, in my trapezius, biceps, forearms, shoulders, etc. That was also perfectly normal. The clinical test he did on me a couple weeks ago was also perfectly normal.

I know that I have extreme anxiety, and the rest of this post will probably relate to that.

Whenever I think about it too much and get extremely anxious, I feel like I have problems swallowing, biting my tongue, etc. I've also become extremely obsessive with looking at my tongue in the mirror. As google and this forum says, it really takes an expert to know, but I keep going back and forth between feeling like something is wrong with it and thinking it is normal. The tongue is the ONLY spot he didn't emg (but I read somewhere that emg in your upper trapezius would find problems with tongue?)

Considering the problems that I'm sure are due to anxiety have only sprung up in the last 2 or 3 days, it couldn't be ALS right?

The problems I refer to are:
feeling like I can't talk right (everybody thinks im crazy when I ask if im saying anything weirdly)
feeling like I can't swallow (only a problem when I keep swallowing non stop to test myself)

Past all this, after my clinical test and EMGs my neurologist told me I absolutely don't have ALS. I am a 19 year old male, and I am letting this anxiety consume me. I guess I'm here looking for a) reassurance that I don't have ALS and b) help overcoming the anxiety that this has been causing me. I have been letting anxiety take over my life and I honestly don't know how to stop it.

My heart is with all of you that are diagnosed on this website and everywhere else. I will be forever thankful to everyone that can help me settle down over this. I've never felt like I had so little control over the places my mind goes to.

Thank you

Hey there-

I think you have it all worked out in your post. You KNOW you don't have it. You KNOW you have anxiety. While I, or anyone else on here, would love to be able to reassure you and have you actually believe it, that's not how health anxiety works. In order for you to sort out your health anxiety, being on a forum dedicated to helping those with ALS, is definitely not the place for you. Counseling and working out why you are anxious, seeing a doctor and staying away from ALS forums are what will help you.

I would respectfully ask you to stop and think about what your reasoning is behind coming on to a forum where people who have terminal illness, or those who care for someone with a terminal illness seek support and help from others who have been affected by ALS, and asking these people to reassure you. It seems a bit backwards. Please make sure you are aware that the people who take time to answer you are actual people with serious health issues- they are not a resource to tap to help you through anxiety. There are plenty of other resources online that focus specifically on health anxiety that would be more appropriate.

I wish you well in your continued search to resolve your health anxiety. It's excellent news that you do not belong on an ALS forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back