Not open for further replies.

cottonmaple

Country
US
State
CA
City
Glendale
Since Nov.2011, my husband have had ten mysterious attacks that initially occurred approximately every two months. The last four months, the frequency has increased to about every five weeks. He's been hospitalized for four day stays on four of the occasions. He can't endure the ride on the other occasions.

These attacks have all been exactly the same: -
--- Bowel movement at 6:00am. (no strain,no blood.) Everything is routine.
Immediately, a light flush comes over his entire body. Within two minutes, he has an overall weakness...even facial muscles. He's weak as a limp, wet noodle. I help him as he try to get into the bed with assistance from the walker. He is too weak to speak, eat, etc. Sweats and chills, fever, as well. He becomes extremely restless. Almost non stop hiccup like reaction for 48 hours, or so. Dry heaves. White cell count elevates to 17,300, etc. These symptoms continue for three or four days, with several more days required to regain strength.

We don't know what it is. The referral from our primary physician for neurologist to see him is taking forever. I thought I'd rather ask opinion from this forum instead of burying my head in the sand w/ this waiting game.

Much appreciation.

It's not ALS is all I can say. I hope you figure it out.

What Ms. Pie responded to you. Doesn't seem to be ALS.
But, I am not a Doctor so my above statement is not by any means a diagnosis.

See a Neurologist and have your husband undergo several tests such as MRI, EMG, etc. to rule out any problems.

Hope this helps.

NH

Good luck to you and yours!

He could be stimulating the vagus nerve. A lot of heart attack patients are found in the bathroom. The act of having a bowel movement stimulates the vagus nerve and can cause a severe drop or increase in the heart rate, which in turn causes weakness, nausea, sweating and close to everything you said, not sure about the white blood cell count. I am not a dr, but it might be something to ask about.

Many years ago I was a paramedic and we found a lot of our heart patients in the bathroom.

Last edited:
Hi, his symptoms make me think about some rare diseases called periodic paralysis.....take a look at hypokalemic periodic paralysis and hyperkalemic periodic paralysis on web and see if there are similarities with your husband's issues. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back