Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand, I am still trying to figure out what is wrong, but so many had helped me on this forum that I like to share my story, let us know when you have your app.

Welcome to our forum, I'm from Massachusetts so not too far from you up here in New England... I hope you find answers that aren't ALS! But if you do need to be on this site, you'll find a wealth of information and new friends here.

Having a new baby is SO stressful at times, how are you sleeping? You should consider talking to your doc about some meds to help calm any anxieties and help you sleep better if you need it Have you talked to your wife about some of your fears? Keep the communication going, it's really hard at times. Keep the faith, and be strong, and stay online here to help you through the rough spots.

My cousin was having some of the same problems. His bones hurt, his arm numb,could not even get out of bed in the morning. He already had all the tests from3 neurolgists, Cat Scans, EMg's, bloodwork, everything fine. I took him to my neuroligist with all his test results. After the Dr. looked at them all, he asked him how many soda's he drank aday(he runs a car shop with a soda machine) he was drinking between 12 + 17 aday. Come to find out, at 16 years old he had like caffine overload and was drawing all the minerals out of his bones. He stopped the caffine and feels great.
Mentally now, my dad was a cop, what some of you guys see I think is very hard mentally. I think in back of your mind you save so many lives(thank you)and hlp so many people and when your unkle lost his life to ALS it was nothing you could do to fix him. Just a thought, thank you for the profession :)

Im on anti anxety meds, they do help me stay a little calmer. I sleep well when im home, baby gives us 11 hours of peace. Unfortunatly i dont go bed early enough to take advantage of it. Im the type that falls asleep......i dont go to bed, if that makes sense. We have a very open line of communication, she keeps me calm. The forum was her idea. My psychiatrist i see for ptsd told me long term anti anxiety meds usually dont work on health anxiety, that real relief generally wont come until some answers are found. I just have to trust the very competant docs i have found and be patient. I take them anyway in hopes they will kick in or keep a better balance. Buspar(long term maintanence) and xanax(my short term). Xanax does quell the swells of health anxiety. When i labeled myself a hypochondriac my doc said i was wrong, its health anxiety related to symptoms. Healthcare providers like myself fail miserably in managing our own symptoms. We fear the worst and dont consider the best. A burden of emergency medicine and many years of caring for sick people.

The forum helps and im glad posting my feelings is helping others.

My doc also informed me in not so many words.....your uncle died from als, all providers fear it, its mean, it natural. Get tested, get answers and we can move on. So i got the ball rolling!

Im an avid golfer and i watched bruce edwards caddy for tom watson(my favorite) when he was damn near crippled. A true inspiration and hero to all effected by als in one way or another. Thevman lugged a 60 pound golf bag barely able to speak and still smiled. All while i watched my uncle slide the als slope. So theres deep seated damage in my head and im sure its part of all this anxety.

My Neuro is the Head of Hospital for special Surgery in NYC and they have the most dedicated friendly team of doctors and therapists I've ever met. I am so glad I made the decision to go the extra miles into New York, as I live in Jersey. Enjoy that baby while their still little, it goes by so quickly and before you know it they're in school.....Make every minute count.....<3

You all may get a chuckle out of this but, i realized why so many people on here have confirmed diagnosises.......this is the only place to go online thats a dedicated forum. And folks with als tend to be inside a little more than someone without mnd, especially in advanced stages. 20 years ago disease processes must have been a much more lonely place. Along with mental health issues. My how the internet has changed things.

LifeWorthLiving,
I just want to point out something that you said to give you a bit of reassurance, if possible. You say that most of the people on this forum are confirmed diagnoses. I just wanted to point something out to you. Most of the people that are here responding to us and giving us information ARE, unfortunately, like you said, diagnosed cases. This is because they have a significantly larger wealth of information about the disease than the other people on this section of the forum do. Most here are people worried that they have ALS. As someone else has stated, very few people in this section have ever ACTUALLY received a diagnosis. Once they are cleared, there is not much reason to stick around the forum, especially if they have a good bit of healthy anxiety. Others like me, who are here and do not have the disease or do not have a diagnosis do not comprehend or understand the nature of the beast enough to help someone else to understand why they should or should not be worried. It is fairly irresponsible to hand out either false hope or false fear. I hope that thinking about it that way will help you to feel a little better. It has been said that very, very few people in the worry section actually have the disease. I haven't been here nearly long enough to affirm that, but I am sure others can. The ones that post here often are usually the ones that, sadly, have need for it. I wish you peace on the journey, and keep us posted.

Sorry, I repeated several statements several times. :p I am posting from my iPhone and cannot scroll up very easily. I hope the point came through. ;)

this is the only place to go online thats a dedicated forum.

No. It's one of several forums that are dedicated to ALS/MND -- five others that I can think of. It's the largest one and is one of the oldest.

The reason that most of the folks here have a diagnosis is that they are either patients with ALS or their caregivers. This particular forum is only a small part of the mission of the board.

So heres a little update. Saw the gp today and he found some weakness in my right arm. He was sure of it. Sent for the boat load of labs and an mri thursday, emg next week with a neuro. He definatly had some concerns but said these things take time and can amount to any number of problems. Scary but at least wecare moving somewhere.....

So heres a little update. Saw the gp today and he found some weakness in my right arm. He was sure of it. Sent for the boat load of labs and an mri thursday, emg next week with a neuro. He definatly had some concerns but said these things take time and can amount to any number of problems. Scary but at least wecare moving somewhere.....

As a paramedic and firefighter, you must realize that the chances are much greater that you have injured a disc from years of lifting patients.

One of the hazards of our profession is that we k ow just enough to be dangerous to ourselves. I was and EMT and firefighter eons ago when I was young and healthy (for 20 years) and started blowing discs in my 20's.

Having a family history of ALS does t make your risk higher unless your uncle had genetic ALS. 90% is sporadic.

Anxiety is your worst enemy. When you become hyper aware of your body, you're on a slippery slope. Good that you seem to be aware of this. Let the docs do their job while you do your job. Good luck. Be sure to come back and tell us when you get the all clear from your testing.

Last edited:
I must note it is quite hard to assess my left foot for anyone. Had a mishap with a chainsaw in the fall and it cut my ankle.....good news it doesnt pop or crack anymore.... Bad news it doesnt move like it used to. Damn things bite hard.

Drop foot secondary to husquvarna there....all my neuro symptoms are present on the right side for the most part anyway.

Thaught a few people could get a chuckle out of that....

Living with testing and symptoms leaves are dark cloud over ones head. Although im remainging positive.....anyone out there had real symptoms that turned out negative? If so you thoughts, expieiences and ideas could be uplifting.

I know a lot of people start on the forum and depart once cleared, so my odds of a no als reply by a regular may be slim..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back