Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
ROM
State
Europe
City
Bucharest
First of all,my name is Radu,I am 23 years old (yesterday was my birthday),I am a medical student and I want to say "Hello!" to all the members on this forum. You are great people and I wish to be as strong as you all are!:)
Second of all...and here comes the bad part and I want you to excuse me,because I have read the "stickys",but I am still posting this.
It all started in June,this year. I was preparing for a cardiology exam and first,whithout notice, I started to have fasciculations all over my body-calfs,shoulders,back,arms,thighs,thenar muscles,feet,even lower lips,inside of my ears(i "hear" them),lower face,or the anterior face of the neck. the fasciculations are not non-stop,24/24,they only last a few seconds or so and afther that they dissapear from that spot and appear later,afther minutes or hours.Besides the fasciculations I started to have involuntary movements from time to time,like when you try to sleep and suddenly you feel a sensation like a shock through your body.Afther the exam,I searched on the internet about fasciculations and from that moment I can't find peace with my mind:(
In July,I started to feel pain in the left gluteus muscle,the flexors muscles of the left thigh and the left calf muscles.it was a constant pain,a diffuse pain that lasted for a few days non-stop.along with this,in one evening I felt numbness in my forehead,and the right forearm that lasted few hours.Anyway,few days later,the pain was gone,but the fasciculations continued exactly like they used to be.
At the beginning of august I started to feel my left leg "different" when I was walking,like it was something strange with it.and the pain appeared again. that weird sensation and that pain lasted almost 10 days,and suddenly,one of my friends took me in a park and we run almost one hour,and the next day I had no pain and the "strange" feeling in my left leg dissapeared. From that day,I decided not to think anymore at fasciculations or pain,because i have thought that if I had ALS,my situation would not improve. So almost three weeks,I ignored the fasciculations and they almost dissapeared and I was very happy about that,and I was thinking that all was just in my head because of anxiety. But I dont know why,this week,I started to think again that it is not normal to have fasciculations and suddenly their number increased again,and now I live again with fear and anxiety. The fasciculations have the same characteristics like before-now I can have one in my calf,for a few seconds,and afther a few minutes one can appear in my shoulder,or thigh,or everywhere. Last night I've read in the first sticky that the fasciculations in ALS are localised first and now it seems to me that I have more fasciculations in my left leg,although I have them everywhere... I am very anxious,and please forgive me for posting this,but when I speak to someone,I feel a little bit better!:) I didn't saw a doctor till now,but my strenght is like before the fasciculations began maybe even bigger,because I lift weights in the gym with even more intensity than before,because I want to prove myself that I have all the muscles alright.I am still afraid when I feel the twitchings but I think that if the cause would be ALS,i could not lift weights in the gym anymore,given the fact that I have the fasciculations for 3 months already and I dont have atrophy or weakness despite the constant twitching.I dont know what to believe anymore...I would thank everyone who replies to me because I am very worried about my symptoms:(. And sorry for my bad enghlish,I am from eastern Europe:)

Hi Radu. Your English is very good and you communicated your concerns well Thank you for reading the stickies. I think you know what I am going to say. This is not ALS. It sounds like you were anxious because of your exam and twitching is not uncommon when anxious. Things spiraled from there , improving when you got control of yourself for whatever reason perhaps you were on holiday? Now you are twitching but strong,23. Not ALS I promise. You have what we call a double whammy you were anxious and searched AND you are a medical student. This is a common fear among med students and indeed qualified physicians as well. You see too much in your training and know how the human body betrays you sometimes but if you presented this as a case to your neurology professor and put ALS anywhere other than the most ridiculous differential immediately ruled out he or she would mark you as fail. You are under a lot of stress in school. You will be under a lot of stress when you enter into practice. Please try to find a healthy way to handle it. Best of luck

Hi Radu. Your English is very good and you communicated your concerns well Thank you for reading the stickies. I think you know what I am going to say. This is not ALS. It sounds like you were anxious because of your exam and twitching is not uncommon when anxious. Things spiraled from there , improving when you got control of yourself for whatever reason perhaps you were on holiday? Now you are twitching but strong,23. Not ALS I promise. You have what we call a double whammy you were anxious and searched AND you are a medical student. This is a common fear among med students and indeed qualified physicians as well. You see too much in your training and know how the human body betrays you sometimes but if you presented this as a case to your neurology professor and put ALS anywhere other than the most ridiculous differential immediately ruled out he or she would mark you as fail. You are under a lot of stress in school. You will be under a lot of stress when you enter into practice. Please try to find a healthy way to handle it. Best of luck

Thank You very much for your support! I feel better now and I hope to beat the machine that works in my head against me! I have two years untill I finish the med school and my biggest dream now is to become a neurologist. The day when the researchers will discover a cure for this disease will be the happiest day of my life and believe me that when I say this I have tears in my eyes and I am not ashamed to admit it:-(.The main priority for this world should be to discover cures for ALS,Alzheimer disease,MS,certains types of cancer or Parkinson and not to go on Mars...:(

One last question if you dont mind: In ALS the fasciculations are non-stop in the muscle that is affected,like 24/7 without any break?

Radu, please don't ask any more questions. If you do, you will eventually get an answer that will convince you to keep worrying. It's just not healthy. Please relax. Go for a run--it's a WONDERFUL way to dispell stress. If you had ALS, that run would have left you worse off, not better.

Best wishes for your studies!

Radu, please don't ask any more questions. If you do, you will eventually get an answer that will convince you to keep worrying. It's just not healthy. Please relax. Go for a run--it's a WONDERFUL way to dispell stress. If you had ALS, that run would have left you worse off, not better.

Best wishes for your studies!
Thanks and sorry!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back