Diagnosis
11/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Yakima
Hi, I am new to this forum. My husband was diagnosed about a year ago with ALS. He is now developing frontal lobe dementia. This has been steadily getting worse for about the last 3 months. At this point when he has had a manic episode, he doesn't seem to remember that whole day. I took him to an appt yesterday, spent the day with our daughter. He got up this morning saying let's go, when I asked where he said to the V.A. clinic! Wouldn't believe me that we went the day before, and didn't remember seeing our daughter! This has been awful. He doesn't feel he has a problem, so won't even consider talking to someone. He will be seeing his neurologist on Monday, am hoping that he will be more receptive to him.

hope ur visit to the doctor is positive . So sorry

Sheryl... I saw the list of medications your husband is on, including the psychiatric meds. I'm wondering if you are also dealing with some drug interactions...especially the methadone with the psych meds. This would be my suggested plan of action. Get yourself a notebook, one that has subject dividers. I had one that fit in my purse. In the first section, make a list of your husbands medical care people... primary care doc, neurologist, psychiatrist. Next to each name write down their phone number and email address. Next section, make a list of all the medications he's taking and the dosages. In the next section write down behaviors you have concerns about and the time of day they concern. This is all information you'll want to share with the doctor.

I maintained regular e-mail communication with Glen's neurologist. He wouldn't have to answer me, so there were no issues with privacy (although I DID have power of attorney) but when we went to an appointment, the doctor knew in advance what the issues we were dealing with were. Eventually I did the same with the psychiatrist.

And I agree that if he is refusing medication, etc, he could be considered a danger to himself and that might give you or the doctor grounds for an involuntary confinement. Even if it's just for a few days it could give the doctors a chance to get his meds balanced.

Hi, Had my husband in the ER this morning...stomach pain, we thought it was due to constipation...turns out his bladder was full, and unable to empty it. He came home with a catheter...he's really unhappy now. Wondering if urinary retention is also one of the eventualities of ALS.

Not an eventuality but a possibility.

The ftd that my wife exhibited changed her whole personality. She would not react or laugh at anything. Her face was a blank most of the time. It was like being married to a stranger. ALS is difficult by itself, but you face an additional challenge. I though that my wife would be alive today, but when ftd became more exaggerated, she died within a couple of months. Please love your husband while you can, even if he does not resemble his former self. Love conquers all. God bless and contact me if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back