Other
Country
JP
State
-
City
-
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151228161245.htm

Disclaimer: "The study focuses on a subset of ALS cases -- an estimated 1 to 2 percent -- that are associated with variations in a protein known as SOD1. However, even in patients without mutations in their SOD1 gene, this protein has been shown to form potentially toxic clumps."

My personal feelings about this: don't get me wrong, this discovery is obviously a great thing for people suffering from the SOD1 type, but it makes one wonder: "Then the cause of SOD1 types isn't the same as the sporadic and other genetic ones, so these have yet to be found". That's not so cheering for the rest of us. I for one thought that the definite answer would come out from the TDP-43 studies.

First you do not have a diagnosis of ALS I believe? Unless there have been major developments?So honestly you are not part of " us" and belong properly on the DIHALS subforum if anywhere.

Secondly, research is being conducted on many fronts SOD1 being only one of them.

Thirdly, recent research has shown that lowering SOD1 levels in gene negative SALS seems to be beneficial. It is not going to help me as my problem is a different gene defect but might possibly help many here who are SALS

I was confused with the news. This discovery is just for the sod1 type?
First they say it is focused in sod1 then they say the other types form
sod1 clumps too...
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back