Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Suzann, I have wondered how you are! I am going to pm you eventually, so check back when you can.

I have to tell you....I had this student. She was the type every teacher loves. Always participates, tries hard, asks for help, etc....The day of the final she showed up looking awful: pale, sort of gray, walking real slow, hunched over. She approaches me and tells me she has a kidney stone, no big deal, really. She can handle the pain, but just in case she passes out during the exam, for me not to panic and just call the ambulance. She didn't want me to be taken unawares. Are you freaking kidding me? Get out of here! Go home! Can you imagine? What on earth are people thinking?

I am hurrying to finish last minute grading and then I am going outside for the next 48 hours straight. Nearly 80 degrees, I can't wait.

Lydia

Suzann ...

Been meaning to ask you for a long time . . .what is your new avatar? It looks to me like a swan with a blue ribbon tied around it's beak! I've spent more than a few minutes looking at it from different angles and can't figure it out! LOL

You guessed it ... it IS a swan with a blue ribbon around its beak! You're brilliant!

My nephew picked up a painting a couple days ago, which I'd had sitting on the floor of the studio. I kinda noticed it had a couple streaks that I didn't remember putting in, but it's an abstract ... what the heck. The more streaks the better. Anyway, as soon as he got it in his truck, the smell of cat urine became very noticable. (My two old toms refuse to acknowledge that they're been fixed.)

So now I'm trying to convince my nephew that this is what they mean by "multi-media." I told him to wipe it down, and the smell will probably go away in a couple years. (When people say my paintings stink, they ain't kidding!) :lol:

Hi Beth. Call up a good carpet cleaning company. They have deodorizers for urine that might work and not harm the painting.

AL.

Good idea, Al. Thanks.

Beth.....tooooo funny!
You'll have to tell your nephew that he needs to realise that this painting is now unique and a collectors item! He needs to preserve the integrity of the art ;)
Hard to mass produce that effect!
Rick

I read this reply from Lydia?

The Handbook of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, (1992):

In some ALS cases, fascicular twitching of the muscles precedes by months, even years, any muscular weakness; in others, frequent, painful muscle cramps herald the creeping paralysis...

Sorry if I don't understand this correctly but is this true. Fasciculations years before weakness? I don't know how I can be reassured if I read such things. So hard to get this.

Alexandre, this is a quote which can be (and as evident in your question, is) taken out of context. What I mean by this is; What it IS saying is that SOME ALS patients experience fasciculations or cramping years before other symptoms. What it IS NOT saying is that because you have fasciculations or cramping you are going to develop ALS. You should read the other quote by Lydia which gives a better picture of the relationship between twitching and ALS. And you're right, it is so hard to get this, that's why we're here. All of us (PALS, CALS, Doctors, medical researchers) are trying to "get it" and the search for information and understanding is never ending.

Thank you Barry,
It's like you say 'trying to get it'. But when I read things like that I really doubt my BCFS diagnose, surely now when I'm having hand cramps and more twitches in that hand and arm. I don't want to sound like a jerk here by asking this because you and many others are really dealing with als.
I just can't have a safe feeling about this, it's like I'm just waiting for the worst. All the confliction information is driving me crazy.
Sorry

Beth - I loved the story about the streaks. There is a product called "Smells-Be-Gone" that many piano technicians will use to eliminate odors from pianos. You know, odors like that of dead mice or cigarrette smoke.

I believe it will take care of cat urine as well.

Alexandre - If you can, keep yourself convinced the BFS diagnosis is spot-on. I wouldn't worry any more about ALS unless you start experiencing progressive weakness as evidenced by trouble walking up stairs or opening sugar packets, etc.

Zaphoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back