Ahmedhanafy

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2021
Country
SA
Greetings to all
Please accept my apology about my English quality because it is not my mother tounge. I was recently diagnosed with als few hours ago after very long journey. My symptoms now is mainly bulber with swallowing issues and weak voice. And little breathing difficulties. I can still move my arms and legs with good power they said 4
+. But o have 2 main problems
First ICNT SLEEP at all very few interrupted minutes.
2nd and very strange ..recently I noticed that I don't sweat at all ..like zero sweat
So does anybody pass through similar complains and what can I do with my sleep issues
Ahmed

Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Did you have a second opinion?

What happens and what do you feel when you wake up? Are you still eating normally or do you have a feeding tube?

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie for your reply. No I didn't have a second opinion. I can still eat but with swallowing difficulty and I can feel water up in my nose , also saliva is building up in my mouth. I can move my arms and legs with some difficulties in my fine hand issues .

We always advise a second opinion on the diagnosis, and an odd symptom (such as the new lack of sweating, which can be associated with some other neurologic illnesses that are much more treatable) suggests that all the more. Have you been to the Flinders centre?

Even though your breathing may not be too bad right now, with bulbar weakness, you may be less able to deal with the saliva and mucus that everyone has overnight. You could try a nasal steroid like triamcinolone just before bed, and/or an oral antihistamine such as fexofenadine. If those don't help, you may want to ask about a trial of BiPAP. It's also good to elevate your head a little with the right pillow, keep your furnace or A/C filters clean, and play with the temperature/humidity in the room where you sleep. Keeping it free of dust and mold is also important, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back