Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
usa
City
city
Hi my name is ysabel. I am 45 years old and new here.
I am not well written, so if any of you have any questions or need clarifications please feel free to do so.

I know als is extremely rare and chances are i don't have it.
I can not diagnos myself nor can anyone here, but wanted to say whats been going on.
I have had symptoms which have progressively gotten worse for almost three years.
First my right side (arm and leg) were affected.
My right leg catching as i walk like dragging behind.
My hand shaking and arm being rigid. People i knew thought i had a TIA.
Now still the right worse than the left but now affecting that side too.
Hands tremor during tasks.
Hard to even hold my cell phone as if i were lifting a weight.
I can't seem to hold my cell to my ear for more than 5 minutes at best without switching to the other ear. I used to be able to lift 5 gallon paint buckets so naturaly im frustrated.
I have always prided myself in being able to walk long distances without much effort. Now around the corner seems like forever.
My muscles get sore and cramp.
I know there are many things that can possibly mimic als so dont want to jump to conclusion.

A little family history.
An aunt of mine passed away when i was 11 (my dads sister) the last time he saw her she was in a wheel chair.
Im not sure what she had.
Neurological problems run all over my family.
I have been told by primary physician to get mri. Blood work was good.
So asap im getting the mri.
I just have to qualify for the countys health program for low income people.
I always liked doing things on my own but i must ask the county for help now.

Ysabel,

Welcome. If you have had symptoms for 3 years, I would venture to say it's very likely not ALS.

I hope you get some answers soon, and maybe you can ask your physician for a referral to a neurologist.

Hi Ysabel, there are really a lot of causes for the symptoms you have, there are no reason for thinking of als. Have the MRI and go to a neuro for a clinical evaluation, he will be able to give you some answers or to suggest other tests if you need them.

Thanks yall! Yeah come september it will be three years. I ignored the symptoms but since they got worse i checked into seeing a low cost income based clinic.
She (the doc) refered me to neurology. I just have to get aproved for county health services. It is so embarassing at the store to have people make snide coments about my legs falling under me as if i were an addict or drunk.
Im neither so that hurts.
As of right now im waiting for county aproval.
Thanks alot!

It's not easy but try to ignore those stupid people making stupid comments. This forum is very helpul and full of beautiful people, you cannot find a diagnosis here but you'll certainly find support.

Thanks Kiara, thats really what i need is support. There is a free mobile medical unit im about to see here they will help too.

Mobil medic was here they spent an hour on testing me. They saw many problems. They can see im struggling to walk my balance is poor, walking with one foot in front of the other is to hard. It hurt prety bad to put my arms over my head. the doc wanted to know why my arm stuck out the way it did i said i dont know it just does that. My legs are riggid as well. They have me on the neurology waiting list. They will figure me out.
Thanks for listening,
Ysabel

Ysabel

I'm so glad that the Mobil Medic showed up and you've got the neurology appointment coming up. I'm sure they will figure you out in more ways than one; they will certainly be impressed by your courage! Good luck to you...

Thanks, the blood work is good so maybe they can give me w shot or something. I love to be active.

Thanks, the blood work is good so maybe they can give me w shot or something. I love to be active.
Meant to say blood work from 2 months ago.

Im at a shelter right now and making the best of everything. Today.. Wow everyone of the clients chipped in and got me a very nice getwell card and a bottle of body fantasies. My favorite here signed get well soon baby girl! i almost cried getting that stuff!

Ysabel, I'm glad that you have people there who care about you and are able to give you social support. It's so important. I hope you are able to see the neurologist soon and get to the bottom of this. Warm hugs to you.

You have such a great attitude. I really hope thebest for you . Sending big (((((hugs)))).
Keep us posted.

Its awful that u have to wait and that u need assistance to get u the help u deserve. After my husband first symptoms they started test within a week. We don't have to pay anything here for testing, and most of our equipment is gov't funded. even with the assistance costs can run up. I do know more than ever that there r good people in this world that r willing to help and a lot of them r on this sight. Keep your spirits up and God bless

Thanks to you all. Im frustrated, but have to be patient, or i will go up the wall.
Im angry at my body for not cooperating. I was never used to regular use of a car so i became an avid walker. I count on my old 67s (my feet and legs) for most of my getting around.
I have been known to put in up to 12 miles in a day.
But i have to try to relax.
I was hesitant to take up on the free mobil medic yesterday because im hard headed then finaly did. They spent over an hour with me. To thiers and my frustrsation there is a waiting list for neurology at st vincent depaul.
I was told by a nuse that my upper arms looked like i was losing muscle.

Breaking it down.
September (about) 2010.
Only symptoms were..
Right leg catching.
Right arm sticking out randomnely.
I brushed it off as a fluke.
then about a little more than a year ago (oct 2011) some slightly noticable tremors and slightly bothersome. Since around April 2012 more noticable tremors during task. After july loss of muscle controll like randomly dropping even light things (cell phone etc)
Losing balance more.
By october 2012. more loss of balance and muscle cramps.
I couldnt even walk around the corner most recently without being in tears from my calves hurting so bad.
To explain some of the test.
Number one if a cop gave me the sobriety test (other than breathalizer) i would fail misserably.
The doc asked 100s of questions.
She asked if i have bladder incontinence which i responded no only if i laugh too hard sneeze too hard or cough too hard.
She smiled and agreed with me that is normal.
Sight hasnt changed reading glasses at 45 is normal.
No numbness or tingling.
No adominal pain.
I definitely dont want to jump to conclusions.
I just want my strength back!
sorry this is so long.
Im just trying my best to not allow others rude coments about me being an adict or drunk get to me. I dont use any substances so thats upsetting.
But, im trying to stay positive.
Thanks to you all for kind words eventualy they will figure me out.
I just found out or rather confirmed today that my aunt that passed away when i was 11 did indeed have a neuromuscular disease. My sister told me.
My dad (he is 76) said he really cant remember.
I also found out that my dads dad died of brain cancer and his other sister has brain cancer currently.

Im not going to wory myself sick though i just have to wait.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back