Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Pierce
I got a cramp in my foot last night that was very painful. I get them from time to time but this one was a doosey. I wonder if perhaps I did not drink enough water during the day. Any suggestions on what works to prevent them. I have heard that tonic water or pickle juice is effective. I know with this disease cramps are common but thought I would see what others use to help keep cramps away.
Calypso

Why does this always seem to happen more on a night?/:-(
With me it effects my worst/left leg...........actually its the foot and ankle..........more spasms with the ankle.
Tonic water is supposed to work though you would have to drink alot,its the quinine (sp) in it that does the trick.
I think you can get quinine or something like it from a chemist.......not sure but i think some areas in the usa wont let you have it.
Do you take baclofen at nighttime? ,that can help,i always take a nightly dose of baclofen.
All else fails ask your gp,they may be able to give you something to help.
Hope you sleep better tonight.:)

I don't know how to prevent them- though I do drink Tonic water -

I get ugly spasms too, at night mostly, but they sometimes last an entire day thus making walking a challenge.
When it's really bad- I take a neurontin (300mg) but that really knocks me out for like 12 hours.
My heating pad is my new best friend- and for me it does help greatly. A long soak in my jacuzzi tub helps, but to a lesser degree.
(plus with cramps, it's hard to get in and out of the tub)

I hope you get some relief soon- I feel your pain Calypso.

This sounds really stupid....I know it does....but when my husband gets cramps I buy him chocolate milk. He'll have a glass a day for a few days and then doesn't get cramps again for a while. I know how dumb it sounds but it works for him.

That's not stupid Vzandt- When I was running- used to eat a chunk of 70% chocolate. As I recall for magnesium? great idea- I had forgotten that.:-o

This sounds really stupid....I know it does....but when my husband gets cramps I buy him chocolate milk. He'll have a glass a day for a few days and then doesn't get cramps again for a while. I know how dumb it sounds but it works for him.

Magnesium and potassium are good to take a supplement every day.

also gateraide helps.. the calcium in the chocolate milk proably helps. warmth and stretching do also

They make a vitamin water with extra potassium The purple kind Revive. As your ALS progresses, the cramps go away.. My husband had them real bad for a couple yrs, now hardly ever. I would put a blanket in the dryer to get it warm, and lay it over him.

Thanks for all of the great ideas. No cramps last night. l love the ideas of drinking chocolate milk and eating chocolate for magnesium. Any excuse to eat chocolate.
Calypso

I take a b-12 shot twice a week I never have cramps at least so far. I don't know if this is the reason or not. And Since I don't drive anymore the nurse comes to my house twice a week which entitles me to receive a bath three times a week from Home Care

The secret that I found is to stay hydrated and drink lots of fluids (water, gatorade, arizona tea etc.) through out the day. If your urine is yellow when you go to the bathroom then your not hydrated. It needs to be clear with the exception of the first time when you wake up in the morning. I have not experienced any legs cramps since I started doing this several years ago.

what abuot cramps in the ribs...am sure you get em.....now talk about pain.....with me. its in the mornings reaching for my pants draw......my answere is to spend time before getting up , doing some stretching....that works for me....except when i forget....johnny

Johnny - I hear you about cramps in the rib cage--was one of my early symptoms. My potassium was low. I take a slow-release potassium pill every day--really helps. If I stretch too far (bending over to put on socks and shoes for instance) the cramps may hit hard.

old dog....well i was thinking it was only me till your reply....am sure its common for plser..s......cheers johnny

I take magnesium complex which has all the different types of magnesium plus malic acid in it. I was still getting cramps in my hands and feet. The only thing that works for me so far is tizanidine (zanaflex) . The stuff makes me sleepy, but it works. I take it every night. Although during the day I have to tough it out most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back