Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Poquoson
Darcey has been having night sweats for the last week or so. She says that she doesn't wake up during the night feeling hot or cold. We have her heated mattress pad and her heated blanket lower than we've typically had it. But she's waking with her clothes soaking wet. She's not running a fever and doesn't feel bad. She asked me to reach out to those of you, here, to see if anyone else has experienced the same.

My best...

Jim

I would suggest checking her temperature a couple times a day for several days with one of those times being in the late afternoon. Anything over 100 would be worthy of reporting to her doctor and might suggest an infection somewhere. The most common locations would be lungs, urinary tract or wounds. Maybe a nurse could come out and listen to her lungs and check her urine.

Another thought would be hormonal changes, either female hormones or thyroid, but always rule out infection first.

Chris couldn't control his body temperature and so could easily become hot in bed, even if he had few bedclothes over him, or suddenly be quite cool. It wasn't always that he particularly felt hot, but would start sweating and he was never a sweating person before ALS.

However I would try checking her temp frequently, and consider hormone changes too. Some of these things are hard to pin down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back