Status
Not open for further replies.
I wear alot of running suits, elastic waist bands and I have the jacket for the cool mornings, especially Fall and Winter time.

Thank you for all your suggestions ladies! My mom can't stand up, or stand, on her own anymore. So whoever's helping her transfer from PWC to commode has to both hold her up and help her pull up her underpants and pants. It seems like a skirt might work better? What do you think of that?

Also, what do you think of just dispensing with underwear altogether, at least around the house? I am a little reluctant to suggest this to the woman who always 1) made sure I had clean underwear and 2) made sure I wore it in case I got in a car accident!

I think Caldona had skirts made that open in the back, maybe with ties like an apron so the waist can be easily adjusted.
Many do go commando. I'm not a fan, but I'm sorely tempted to do it some days.

cute! I wear yoga pants too! easy on and off but make sure not so much spandex or it takes more effort and i wear over the head empire waist tops the tend to be a little longer. shoes is my problem any suggestions for afos. they are coming today. hugs. me feet swell like baby huey lol

mommagoose - just got my afo about a month ago. The guy who fitted me saw I was wearing New Bal ance sneakers and said that those work pretty well. You just remove the 'inside sole' thing in the one shoe that your afo will go into and leave the other shoe 'as it is'. I've now pulled out the inner sole of the left shoe on a few pair of my tennis shoes for when I want to switch. On dressier shoes, you need a high 'back' on the shoe for the afo to stay in the shoe. I did find out, you need to keep that inner sole that you remove from the shoe! I went to wear my shoes w/o the afo and my left sneaker is way too big to wear w/o that sole in it. :)

It was sad for me to go from professional to comfort. Just getting dressed leaves me exhausted now so we go for easy on and easy off. Now that I can't stand or move my arms pulling on pants is impossible includig undies. We are always looking for ways to streamline so it is easier for both of us. It took some internal negotiation for me to get there. It helps that I found some pretty dresses. I was really pleased to find a wrap around barthing suit too.

mammagoose - Try Foot Smart on the web. They sell shoes that are deeper to accommodate afo's and have widths up to 4W.

Perfect Fit line of knit pants from L L B e a n are my standby. Several waist styles, don't look like sweatpants. Only wish they came in more colors! Very comfy and hold up well. Right now I'm in the capri-length navy ones.

For those on a tight budget: I found elastic-waist, pull-up, lightweight knit pants by Danskin at Walmart for $11. The legs are a bit wider than I like, but they are very comfortable, not too bad looking, and have pockets to carry the ever essential handkerchief or Kleenex. I would much rather wear jeans, but pulling up a zipper has become difficult. Also, my rear has become huge from walking in the stooped over position I find necessary to maintain balance, even with the rollator.

Re AFOs, I took my mom to buy sneakers a couple of months back. To fit the AFO (which she has only for one leg) we got two pairs of men's shoes, because her feet are already wide and the AFO made her foot that much wider. We got one smaller pair and used the left shoe for her un-AFO'd foot, and one larger pair that could accommodate the AFO. Hope this helps.

I wear maternity shorts and jeans, they look very fashionable and you dont have to worry about zippers or buttons. For tops I always buy one size larger its easier to put on. Maternity clothes is expensive but if you dont mind used clothes, you can try resale shops or garage sales.

what's a good clothing option for someone who can't move at all. It seems everything has to be stretched out but I have not been able to find any attractive cloethings except the same old hospital gawn that is open in the back.

One option is to cut straight up the centre back of shirts, hem the cut edges or finish them with bias tape and put on velcro fasteners. Only need a couple, and the smallest size work well, not so thick to lean against. Pants can also be adapted but are for those unable to dress etc. and work only for those in a wheel chair. If interested I can post it.

Wow i have got sooo much from these posts - simple things you take for granted as time goes by... slowly i have given away 3/4's of my wardrobe -shoes and clothes and tend to wear mostly "sports wear" ... including shoes...even though i am far from sporty now! - I only wear a bra when i go out - otherwise stretch tops with a self supporting bra.. and even they are starting to get harder to put on - loose elastic low waist yoga type pants - and some fab loose elastic waste skirts.

I am still walking but unsteady on my feet... i have found crocs brilliant for the shower - very light (virtually weightless) - spongy with a broad base - i feel far more confident in the shower with them on - i was getting to 'unsteady' on a slip mat.

Some other posts here i am also going to put into practise... thank you :)

When in bed, I just stick with the undies. Around the house, my mom sent me her muumuu's from Hawaii. This summer I found a pair of white linen pants with the yoga waist band. Love them. I also found a scooped neck chiffon top that has a really neat back to it. The best way to describe it is; if you're facing your pals or cals, if you slid your arm from their waist criss crossing their back until your hands touched their shoulders. I wear a tank top under, but oh how dressed up I feel when I wear it. I just wished they had more than that one. Its also easy on easy off since I can't move myself and am very spastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back