Diagnosis
11/2022
Country
US
State
KS
City
Overland Park
My brother was newly diagnosed with ALS 2 weeks ago. He has had significant weight loss in the last 8 months. I have read that patients have to significantly increase their calorie count. Right now he is eating ok, has a little trouble with liquids. Any suggestions for high calorie foods that are easy to swallow?

Welcome and I'm sorry to hear of the diagnosis.
Smoothies are a great way to help him.
Whatever his favourites are, put them in and then you can add some calories with nuts, creams (dairy or coconut) and coconut oil.
Rich gravy to add to help swallowing with meals can add calories too.

That could be a good start. If he is having trouble with liquids, think about a feeding tube as early as is appropriate to discuss with him. Remember you are all in some shock, so that discussion doesn't have to be this week.
PALS often dehydrate if they have problems with liquids, and that affects quality of life.

You can add thickeners to liquids as well which can help.

Often plain water is the toughest. Dairy can be rough as well.

For liquids, that leaves non-acidic juices, oat, soy, or nut milk smoothies if regular milk is out, which can be thickened with eggs, cornstarch, flours, bananas, applesauce, canned fruit, and more to pack on calories. And any dairy or non-dairy ice cream, yogurt, etc.

It may also be or come time to eliminate hard skins, seeds, peel, kernels, and stringy produce.

Thank you. I will mention these suggestions to him.

Greeneyes so sorry to meet you here, but I have been here for about 8 years. I have a feeding tube but use it mostly for meds and vitamins, I can swallow most liquids but not water, soft drinks and juices are fine even the occasional beer. I still eat in the normal way, the feeding tube was put in early because my doctor didn't know how fast my progression would be. I feel having the feeding tube is a good thing because it gets me around foul tasting meds, allows me to take in water and down the road if required will allow me to eat.

Al

Sorry, Greeneyes. Me too dx 11/7/22. I drink Eensure Plus. 350 calories. Easy to swallow. 16 grams of Protein and the Vanilla tastes pretty good. Your brother has to consume at least 2,500 calories a day to avoid dropping weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back