Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
Nebraska
City
Chapman
Hi. My name is Dave H from nebr. Was diagnosed in Feb 18 and then Mayo clinic Mar 2018. 61 year old with the emotions of a 5 year old these days. Hard to understand and accept when I've been healthy My whole life. Not exactly a group I thot about joining but I know there are incredible people and support on this site.

I hear you Dave!!! My husband was also recently diagnosed. Thankfully- the people on this forum have helped educate and comfort us in so many ways. Don't be afraid to ask for advice. Take care and stay hopeful.

Dave, I'm so sorry you were diagnosed but welcome.

This forum has been life altering, for me. I've learned so much and made friends with some wonderful people.

The moderators are second to none. They work day and night to help answer questions and keep the board free from trolls and scams.

Welcome to the club no one should join. You are among friends. Feel free to ask anything and everything. There is such a level of knowledge and support here. Oh yes, rant away too, we know where it is coming from.
Vincent

Welcome Dave! I certainly understand what you’re saying about the emotional rollercoaster. The emotional part does get a bit more even as you adjust to the new reality. Stick around here and you’ll learn alot. Knowledge is power.

So sorry to welcome you. Hoping to get to know you here as you get to know the beast and learn to deal with it.

A sad welcome, Dave. It takes time to process this news, and I would not expect "complete acceptance."

Please pipe up with comments or questions any time.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you all for the replies. Took me awhile to figure out how to get on this site to post. There are days I'm pretty desperate to find someone to talk to. I've always done alot of manual labor and as I lose the strength in my legs i do less everyday. Not sure if the physical part of this is worse or the mental part.

Welcome Dave,

This is a great place to get some insight for things to come, but it can also be a shoulder to lean on.
I to did physical labor most of my life and was never sick, until one little diagnosis. I don't believe you need to accept what is happening, but coming to terms is another thing. Just because you were diagnosed does not mean life ends, it's how you go about it from here. I personally think that it is harder on the family, than on the PALS them self. They are the ones that may need some help, we have all kinds of doctors we can see.

Personally my motto is, I have ALS, it doesn't have me.

Dave,

I can relate to your last post. I was heavy into sports and it still bothers me to watch other people running, playing golf, and doing other activities I've always enjoyed.

I had to find new things to do. After "retiring" early, I spent more time with music, books, and even TV. I moved and met some wonderful people who play cards. I now play around 3 days a week. When I can no longer use my hands, I'll still go and find someone to hold and play my cards. I'm writing more and enjoying not having a schedule. I miss my paycheck but no longer miss the work because I've filled my life with new people, a new home, and new interests. I can still hold my camera so I enjoy taking pictures.

I know there will be more loss but I will try to find new things to accommodate my losses.

CBD oil really helped with my racing mind and anxiety about the disease.

This is a vicious disease that nobody deserves. It kills us physically but it can sink us very low mentally, too. I take an anti-depressant for that part.

Now that I'm on newly diagnosed forum, do I stay on here or what's the next step. Seems like every week I notice another weakness or change in what I'm able to do. Sometimes it seems like you barely have time to accept the last setback.
I definitely am glad I found this forum. Looking forward to getting tips, advise and encouragement and supporting you all any way I can.

If you want to talk about being newly diagnosed you can certainly stay on this thread. If you have a specific question you might want to start a topic on the general sub forum just to get more people noticing it.

You can post on other people’s threads to sympathize or offer advice. Most people, after their initial thread here, just start reading threads, answering where they want and starting threads if there is a topic to discuss. There are also the social subforums which you are welcome to post on

Dave, if you have any good jokes to share, we’d love to hear them. Humor is very therapeutic. Go to the subforum on “comedy, humor, jokes”.

Hi Dave!
I too was recently diagnosed in January 2018 and joined the forum in March but haven't quite figured out the posting part. I will try to send this one and see if it works.

As a very active person my entire life, I am struggling with not being able to take those 4-8 mile walks each day, planting the vegetable garden, planting the annuals, mulching the flower beds. I'm not so sure I am really embracing the "ALS doesn't have me" motto yet. Being 53 with lots of activities and a full-time career does not work with this disease.

I think this forum may be good for you, I and lots of others who need to get going in the right direction with our new lives.

Cathy

Hi Cathy and welcome. Feel free to start a thread and tell us about yourself....or not. It's certainly not required.

Glad you found us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back